Please help ID a green nudibranch 6-8cm long seen in Gato island, Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yuhtnav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
IMG_2369.jpg
Click here for bigger image

I didn't find this big green nudibranch in my Reef Creature Identification - Tropical Pacific book by Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach. I'm so curious. Does anyone know which nudibranch this is?

Attachments

• IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 213
ocdiver1 is on target.
You can check against the different photos on nudipixel.com for these species.They exhibit a great deal of colour variance, and studying body shape can be more useful.

By the way, the Reef Creature ID book doesn't have much focus on nudibranchs, and you're much better off with a nudi-only book.

It is Ceratosoma gracillimum. Ceratosoma tenue has 2 mantle lobes close to the gills on each side, and only 1 per side is seen in this photo.
[h=2][/h]

Go for nudi-pixel... it's free, searchable with inquiry, has taxonomies in menu and has multiple pictures per species - which helps identification when there are variances in color etc..

Nudibranchs Encyclopedia by Neville Coleman is a good book for Asia-Pacific sea slug ID.

Ok, so I checked my Reef Creature book again for Ceratosoma Gracillimum and found them.
Following is what's in the book for Ceratosoma Gracillimum:

"Slender T-bar nudibranch
Ceratosoma Gracillimum
Dorid Nudibranch
Chromodorididae
Size: to 12 cm (4 3/4 in.)
ID:
Orange to red and red-brown with mottling; pair of flat lateral body lobes adjacent to gill, no sharp mantle edge between head and wing-like lobes; tall appendage behind gill. West Pacific to Solomon Islands and Australia, also Japan."

The size sounds right and the shapes of the bodies of those in photos in the book look similar, but the color variance doesn't include green. That's why I'd decided the one in my photo hadn't been CG.

Kupu, could you please tell us what it says in the Nudibranch Encyclopedia about CG color variance?
Nudipixel doesn't say anything about color variance and I've gone thru 186 photos for CG there, the shade that was closest to green I found was in the pic below. Others were varying from red to orange to light yellowish as my book says.

Ceratosoma gracillimum from Bali, Indonesia » Nudi Pixel
28033.jpg

Last edited:
Which ones do you recommend? :)
Nudibranchs of the World, Debelius
Nudibranchs Encyclopedia, Coleman
IndoPacific Nudibranchs and Sea Slugs, Gosliner et al.

Back
Top Bottom