Please help - Best way to remove stuck screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joyfulsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys,

Need your help. Please advise me on how best to loosen or remove screws that have become stuck. I have a Sea & Sea tray and failed to regularly remove the braces for the strobe arms. The screw holding the tray and brace together is now stuck. I have tried using WD40 to no avail.

Thanks.

wd40 is a lubricant only, and not a penetrant. Try Liquid Wrench and tap sharply several times. Wait a few minutes and try applying pressure in quick "bursts" rather than constantly increasing it.

Assuming you can disassemble everything, when you reassemble, put a little lubricant like Aqua Lube on all the threads. No more problems. Its designed for boat trailer wheel bearings, fasteners, etc. Won't come off underwater.

As NetDoc has said you will need a penatrating oil like liquid wrench. I have found some good ones at auto stores. The trick is to spray them and let it set for a while. Do this several times over the course of several days (spraying them several times per day) and they will come right out. I have had a lot of experience with this working on old Corvettes. (My other hobby)

You know... 30 years in automotive helped to free just about EVERTHING. Remember you only get one chance to free a fastener. Do it slow. BTW, according to one manufacturer of these penetrating oils, the tapping on the fastener helps the oil to get into the really tight spaces.

kinda stinky, but we've used plain old gasonline to free up frozen/corroded screws before. next time, try lanocote on the screws before set up (and, of course, not storing it assembled).

lorien

Bob3:
Tritto on the squirt & soak method.
Then take a TINY hammer (2 oz or so) & give then a couple taps.

In addition to the above mentioned tips that are all good...
Sometimes tightening (yes tightening) the bolt or screw ever so slightly may help. If the fastener moves in one direction, move it in the opposite direction, and work it back and fourth, adding penetrating oil during the process.

Are these steel screws into an aluminum tray?

If so then there is hope even if you have destroyed the screw heads.

After all else has failed, weld a nut to the screw. The easy way to do this is to use a wire feed welder or take it to a weldor who has the equipment to do it. If the Weldor is a friend (who drinks beer) bring a six-pack.

The heat and expansion/contraction cycle will make the screw come right out without damaging the plate.
Screws are cheap.

Back
Top Bottom