Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjsteffen:
Soggy, would love to see the diver who thinks they have it all "squared away" do it on video during DIR-F. The camera never prevaricates.

I was refering to the basic skills of buoyancy,fining. and Ascending without a line. (Although there is definately room for improvement)

Not all the necessary skills in DIR-F course. How could I since I don't even know what they all are. I do want to take the course then after maybe we can kick back...watch the video...and laugh...

scubascudadoo:
I live in Toronto and is there a DIR instructor in the area that anyone knows about. I'd like to talk with one ... One-on-0ne.

Thanks
MB

Dan MacKay from Northern Tech Diver is the man to speak to. Don't want to post the directlink to NTD on here since that gets people in trouble on Scubaboard but I am sure you can figure it out without too much hassle by throwing in a www and a .com sparingly. You can also contact him through www.gue.com

I believe you spoke with someone on Sunday that can help you get in contact too. :D

FYI. PADI has nothing against the backplate/wing/long hose/bungied second deal. It is the shop you DM for. They do not sell the gear and therefore do not condone it. Other PADI shops in the area teach divers in this config for open water on a regular basis. Funny enough they sell the gear and therefore make it work in the PADI system.

I have taken the fundamentals class. It really dispelled every myth or piece of misinformation I ever heard about DIR. There is actually alot of flexibility with the gear, that really surprised me, and the attitude of the GUE instructor was really positive and helpful. I will say that my personal experience with the DIR principals has been very positive. The gear is very easy to dive with, and the skills and approach of the fundamentals course was very good. The skills will do nothing but make anyone a much better diver. They are really keyed on team awareness, environmental awareness and equipment awareness. I really think the only people that wouldn't enjoy the Fundamentals course are solo divers.

It is so much more than just the gear.

I was reading some of the other threads and it prompted some questions.

1. Why Jet fins? I thought that a rigid fin was required. Why not use a US Divers Rockets or Super Rockets?

2. I read 7' for primary reg, 22" for backup reg, 22" for spg and 20" for inflator. Can this lengths change and still be compliant? What if I needed more or less hose with my regulator? Is the DIR way moldable enough to allow for small variations?

More to come I am sure.

Joe

2.) Minor variations can be made depending on body sizing and single vs. double...the whole "hose length" thing is about correct positioning of the gear. For most people these "standards" work...for others, an extra inch here or there will bring the gear into the correct standard position. (Example...you may need another couple inches on your SPG hose to get it to sit correctly on your left hip D-ring).

Here's one thing I am curious about...

A lot of DIR'ers insist that a regulator can only be black.

If you ask them why they do not make all of their regulators a bright easy to find color, they tell you because they do not need to, so they wont.

A bright easy to see color would make the regulator easier to see and find. So why not make it a bright color?

Seabear70:
As for the book, from what I've read on these forums, it sounds like a sales brochre for the class, giving a lot of hype while avoiding offering any skills.

a bit late for this, but this is absolutely not true. i found
the book priceless (and this is from someone who will
never be DIR).

as a caveat, the more you know about the
hogarthian configuration and technical diving in general,
the less useful the book will be.

here's JJ on the hogarthian configuration:

http://www.nsscds.org/hogarth.htm

H2Andy:
a bit late for this, but this is absolutely not true. i found
the book priceless (and this is from someone who will
never be DIR).

as a caveat, the more you know about the
hogarthian configuration and technical diving in general,
the less useful the book will be.

here's JJ on the hogarthian configuration:

http://www.nsscds.org/hogarth.htm

Good articule...think I spelled that right

Seabear70:
Here's one thing I am curious about...

A lot of DIR'ers insist that a regulator can only be black.

Sez who?

I think the point you might be missing is that when you are donating the reg you are breathing...what does it matter what the color is? It doesn't as the "color" isn't a part of the equation...unlike donating an Octo...which may be identified by it's bright color amid a sea of other items clipped off to some random D-ring.

And...just for extra points...how long does "yellow" or "pink" last in the water column as you descend anyway?

Ok, for extra points, if you are looking arround with a canister light which one will you see easier?

I'm working on making both regs day glow yellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom