Please explain DIR to me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roakey:
Example, please. I'm tiring of your vauge accusations...

Roak

Vague accusations???

Ok, try it like this...

If something can give you an advantage, no matter how minimal, without causing any problem, do not reject it.

Doing so is tunnelvision of the worst sort.

Making your reg a bright color aids in finding it in some situations, so why not make the regs a bright color?

I keep hearing how it's not nessecary, and "vague suggestions" that because it is not nessecary, it is a bad Idea.

But no one has explained why doing this is a bad Idea. Personally, I think it's a case of a lot of people missing the obvious.

Seabear70:
No, why a shorter hose on the octopus then on the primary?
Once again... there is NO "octopus", or "safe second".
There is a primary regulator and a backup regulator.
The primary regulator is donated in an OOA situation because it is best to do so, for many reasons:

1 - An OOA diver who IS paniky will likely grab that one anyways.
2 - You know it works... you were just using it. If your backup fails, YOU are in a better situation to deal with it than the guy in front of you who had no air 2 seconds ago.
3 - You know it is the correct gas for the depth you are at, again, because you were just breathing it. It works this way when you are on a stage or deco bottle as well. You ALWAYS donate the regulator out of your mouth. You then go to your backup under your chin, because you know it is always there and not likely to be fouled by shells and sand, and because it too, will have a breatheable gas.

This is one reason that "pony bottles" are frowned upon. While they may be fine for recreational diving from a safety perspective, if one becomes used to using a "pony", then progresses into deco diving, they need to un-learn their pony training before the hand off (or go to) an O2 bottle at 100ft.

The short hose is used on the backup because it is more streamlined. When the backup only needs to move from just under your chin into your mouth, a short hose is all that is needed. A standard-length secondary hose would be used for doubles, and a slightly shorter one is used for singles (for most people, some use a standard hose for both).
And why dosn't everybody use bright colors on both of them?
It's simply not needed.
You KNOW where your gas is going to come from... the reg in front of your buddy's face. If you can't find his face, the color of the reg isn't going to make a difference.
With standard recreational training, yes... it makes sense, because the "octo" is going to be "somewhere" in a mysterious triangle formed by the diver's chin and hip bones.
Finding a black "octo" in that area, amid the lights and slates and retractors and reels and whistles and goody bags all of the rest of the dive-shop clutter is a challenge.

On a DIR rig, it's simple.
Shove your hand in his face and you'll find a reg that you can use.

You really are starting to get a bit silly on this topic.

bwerb:
Sorry, you didn't do a very good job if your point was to try to "illustrate" the "lemming like" attitude of the DIR diver's thought pattern. The long and short answer to your question (which started with a "I heard you can only have black regs"...nice troll btw as it's not something anyone who dives DIR would ever say if they had any clue whatsoever) was that the color of your regs MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. Paint yourself pink and dive DIR...you'll still donate the reg in your mouth. No one answered with any sort of "beyond common sense" reply, they answered your question with the logical answer.

I wasn't trying to troll, Just trying to understand why everyone seems to insist that DIR regs would be black, when obviously black would be aboutthe worst color for them.

Color can make a difference, even if it is a marginal difference. A marginal difference can save your life.

You are the only one who said it had to be black! We're saying it doesn't matter and that "color" is totally a non-issue so why worry about it. Since the majority of regs are black...if thats what you use...so be it!

What you are missing is that your "advantage" would require that every regulator except the secondary be some bright color. One of the bigger picture ideas in DIR is that all regs are interchangeable. If you are able to use one type of reg for all your gear (primary, secondary, stages, decobottles etc), then you can easily switch back and forth if you have a problem or damaged reg. Total redundancy and minimal downtime.

You are also missing that an OOA diver is gonna grab the one with the bubbles...if they can't figure out where my mouth is...they have greater problems than color recognition underwater. If you are dressed like a Christmas Tree and the OOA diver is trying to figure out which multi-hued doo-dad is their "octopus" then colors start to make some sense...right as they rip the bubbling "black" one out of your mouth...:D

Seabear70:
I wasn't trying to troll, Just trying to understand why everyone seems to insist that DIR regs would be black, when obviously black would be aboutthe worst color for them.
NOBODY insists that DIR regs be black.

Please give us to a link to ONE post, here on SB, TDS, or Techdiver where someone has said that in a serious manner (I'm not talking about a joking reference like the one about black masks on GUE's site).

Dollars to donuts that if you CAN produce such a link, it was posted by someone who was either newly DIRF'd, or had not yet taken any GUE training.

Ok, fair enough, I have no way of knowing that the person on the other end is actually a DIR'er.

Still, the bright colored regulator makes sense. I wonder why it has not been incorporated into the DIR specs?

Rich...we're channeling the same voices...this time I get to jump off the cliff screaming first...:D

Seabear70:
As far as I can see, you are the only one who has said that DIR insists on black regs. That is not the case.

Seabear70:
Color can make a difference, even if it is a marginal difference. A marginal difference can save your life.
If you think it makes a difference, go ahead and have colored regs. Just so you know, I have seen many DIR rigs with colored regs.

Would it make any difference if I told you my secondary is yellow...(for the first few feet anyway).

Seabear70:
Ok, fair enough, I have no way of knowing that the person on the other end is actually a DIR'er.

Still, the bright colored regulator makes sense. I wonder why it has not been incorporated into the DIR specs?

Like I said...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom