Please explain a cavers knot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I was recently told to attach the clip on my primary with a cavers knot. Can someone explain how this is done?

thanks.

Even better to use an o-ring attached with a cable tie. If you ever NEED the reg fast, or have an entanglement issue, it can be forcefully pulled apart without having to get your knife or shears out and cut it free.

theskull

theskull:
Even better to use an o-ring attached with a cable tie. If you ever NEED the reg fast, or have an entanglement issue, it can be forcefully pulled apart without having to get your knife or shears out and cut it free.

theskull

This is what I was taught in DIRF.

theskull:

theskull

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this method is not DIR. Break away attachments always break when you don't want them too.

cnidae:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this method is not DIR. Break away attachments always break when you don't want them too.
This method is acceptable too. However, most people (myself included) just use cave line because it will not break off when you don't want it too.

I don't see the pictured SPG/snap attachment to be very knife-friendly, and I doubt it'd have enough room in there for snips to work.
I'd almost consider that a hard attachment, especially if all you had were snips.

theskull:

theskull

Breakaway regs are no longer part of the GUE/DIR standard.

The bolt snap should be attached to the reg with cave line.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom