Please define 'Asthmatic'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heads Up

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, this one is a grey area to me. Basically, according to my doctor I have asthma but am not classed as an asthmatic. I have had one attack in my life (11 years ago) when I was 19 (bit like a panic attack - short of breath). I used to smoke also (dumb I know, but kids will be kids). I only ever get 'wheezy' in connection with a dust/feathers/mites allergy I also have but this is controlled using standard antihistamines and a daily inhaltion dose of Flixotide 50mg. I have a standing average peak flow of 660. I DO carry a ventolin inhaler which I rarely have to use (again, normally when I wake up and due to my allergy). I have NEVER experienced any problems while diving (yes, I am aware that experience to date does not automatically insure it won't happen in the future) but I always ensure I am feeling one hundred percent before diving.

My question really relates to the fact that I want to try and get my professional Padi certs (starting with divemaster). I am fit (in that I run 1-2 miles 2 or 3 times a week and do 1 hour pool time with my scuba kit weekly also). I know I have to pass a medical before starting my cert BUT am I classed as ASTHMATIC as far as Padi is concerned? My doctor says no, but then he isn't a dive doctor.

I would appreciate a little clarifiaction on this point.

Cheers

Hi Heads Up:

Like Allen, I'm a little confused by your post. Your statement, "Basically, according to my doctor I have asthma but am not classed as an asthmatic" doesn't really compute for me either. You can quibble over semantics as to whether someone is an "asthmatic" or whether they've had "attacks", but someone who "has asthma" and requires medication to treat airway spasm could have problems with diving.

As to whether PADI would consider you an asthmatic, only they can tell you what they think.

Check out DAN's website at:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=124

and:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=22

Also, check out Scubadoc's site at:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/asthma.htm

Good luck,

Bill

The two links to DAN have been most useful. My 'diagnosis' as being asthmatic stemmed 11 years ago (when I was 19) - I had an 'attack' one night out of the blue when I was short of breath. Went to the local doctor who put a stethescope to my chest and promptly pronounced "You have asthma" (not the most scientific diagnosis in my unqualified opinion but go figure). I have never had a similar attack since however, the word asthmatic is on my medical record due to that incident. As I mentioned I suffer from dust/feathers/dust mite allergy and was advised to carry a ventolin inhaler and to use a daily inhaled dose of Flixotide. Don't know the reasoning - just have always done it. My current doctor has NEVER given me a check up and I never (until now) have thought to question it.

Yep - I now realise that I should have questioned it, but until I started diving, I never had any cause to. Just wanted to know what the opinion was.

Basically (as my doctor is as likely to scuba dive as I am to become a doctor) I think the best course of action is to arrange an examination with a dive qualified GP and get an experts opinion.

Thanks both for your helpful replies.

Heads up,

I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV ;-) -- here are my $0.02.

I think some of the comments about understanding your asthmatic condition and what causes you to experience asthmatic symptoms are right on. This is one of the keys to the YMCA standards -- those that have indentifiable (and controllable) causes for asthma are decent candidates for diving. Those that have unexpected asthma flare-ups without an identifiable cause are at risk if they dive. If you haven't had an issue with asthma for several years, the risk seems to be lower if you dive, but again, it goes back to understanding what caused the original flare-up(s) you had.

I am facing this myself. I have animal allergies, especially to cats -- this sometimes results in asthmatic conditions for me. The easy solution is to stay away from cats. My wife decided this past fall after I stopped diving for the winter that we needed to get 2 cats. I should have protested harder about this, but my kids were so excited about it I could not stand in the way. About 6 weeks ago, I spent an entire weekend indoors at home playing with my kids -- lots of rolling around on the floor, playing with the cats, etc. My breathing became difficult and I ended up on steriod pills (Predisone) and an inhaler for a week. No problems since and I know this was brought on by the cats. I am going to see an allergist in a few weeks to discuss my condition and diving. I am hopeful that since my asthma is only brought on by identifiable allergens that he will give me the OK to continue diving (never had any problems with asthma while exercising, and I exercise regularly -- 3-4 times per week, including swimming, weights, etc.).

Bottom line -- only by fully understanding your condition can you make an informed decision about whether to dive or not. Good luck.

I have consulted a Dive qualified GP in the UK and have arranged to have a medical with him. He has, on the face of the information above, agreed that he would sign me off subject to my passing some exercise related measurements (e.g. checking peak flow prior to doing 10 minutes of strenuous exercise, then remeasuring it. Should there be a noticeable degeneration in performance, then my asthma would be triggered by exercise and obviously I would NOT be fit for diving (and I agree with that). However, if my asthma is brought on by allergies, and only VERY OCCASIONALLY use bronchiodialators (ie ventolin inhalers) then I can still be considered fit to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom