Please clarify terminology - Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartianBeerPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The term 'octo' as used on this board seems to refer to only the backup second stage. Is this correct?

Where I normally dive, it refers to the entire first stage and assorted hoses, second stages, etc..

In a recreational setting, "Octopus" or "octo" or "safe second" or "backup second" are all referring to the same thing.

"Backup second" seems most correct (to me at least :D ). But about 1/2 the time I still call it an "octopus".

Why did the backup second get the nickname "octopus"? I have no idea. I remember being told that is what it was called the 1st time I saw someone using one in the 1970's (when the vast majority of us did not have backup second's or even SPG's :D ).

Safe diving!

Last edited:
octo = dangly yellow regulator thingy :)

""Backup second" seems most correct (to me at least)."

Maybe we need to come up with a new acronym if everyone agrees "backup second" is better than octo? :D

Careful, there's an implication with the term "backup" too...

A backup reg implies how you react in an out-of-gas situation. If you have a "backup reg" you donate your primary and switch to your backup.

This used to be rather clear terminology, but is being lost through misuse of the term "backup".

Roak

The term 'octo' as used on this board seems to refer to only the backup second stage. Is this correct?

Where I normally dive, it refers to the entire first stage and assorted hoses, second stages, etc..

I agree with your local definition. An an old thread I started with the same question (What is an Octopus? if you want to search, circa 2005) has support for that as well. Numerous veteran divers recollect that ganglia as the octopus for obvious visual reasons.

Over the years the term has been corrupted and adopted to refer to an alternate second stage on a conventional regulator set. The corruption extends to manufacturers product names so it has become the dominant meaning.

Pete

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I think alternate second stage is probably the best term. That way we can all call it the ASS.

:D

Back
Top Bottom