Please aid me in my pursuit of purchasing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one option might be to do what i did as a college student. i did purchase some used-but-reconditioned regulators at a very good discount from dive shops in southern california and bcs. they had been rentals, but well cared for. the equipment was from the rental program and turned over every year. i never had any problem with the gear.

I don't know about you but I got certified my freshman year. I bought a BC that year and it has...um...er...shrunk since then. I didn't get a wetsuit right away for the same reason. But on the other hand I do think a wetsuit if your own is nice to have.

One thing I sort of wish I would have got right away is a computer. I'm a big nerd when it comes to electronics and its really fun to download my dives to my computer and see all the info. Not to mention all the other advantages. I wish my first 10 dives would have had that info.

Also, check to see what shops in your area service. I can tell you from experience that its frustrating to have equipment that is hard to get serviced locally. With that being said. Get the gear you are comfortable with. Even if its a hastle to get serviced if it makes you enjoy your dives more then its worth it.

Don't be afraid of used gear. There are some stellar deals out there. Just make sure you get used gear checked out by someone before you put your life on the line. Check Craigslist, I got an Atomic B2 and Suunto cobra for free because the guy gave me a good deal on a whole set. I sold all the stuff I didn't want and kept the reg and comp. I still made a little money. I feel bad but he set the price and was more than happy to practically give me his gear that had only been dove 8 times.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Fins: Mares, aqualung, scubapro, apollo, atomic, tusa

Masks: Atomic, mares, scubapro, aqualung, cressi, tusa

BC's: Aqualung, scubapro, dive rite, halcyon, DSS

Wetsuts: Henderson, scubapro, o'neill, pinnacle, body glove

Regs: Scubapro, atomic, apeks, aqualung, sherwood

Computers: Atomic, suunto, uwatec, oceanic

For just about any piece of gear you're considering, you can just type it into google along with "review" and you'll be able to find information. Also, you can ask questions in forums such as this one, as well as check out sites like leisurepro.com, scuba.com, buzzillions.com, etc. Realize though, that if you're looking for absolute/concrete conclusions you won't find them (start researching split fins and you'll see what I mean :wink:).

I would advise you to steer clear of Akona. Their dive bags are pretty good, but I've hated every other Akona item I've purchased or tried. Also, Sherwood makes pretty good regulators, but they don't seem to make anything else particularly well (Sherwood and Akona are the same brand).

I just did this, bought my gear over the last year piece by piece with a lot of research. In this order, I bought a wetsuit (live in SoCal, need a 7mm+hooded vest), then a computer (Aeris Elite T3), then a BC (Deep Sea Supply Backplate\Wing - LCD30), and finally a Hog D1 coldwater Regulator set with SPG. I tried the Backplate out first through a Local Dive Shop as a rental, and decided I was interested in diving with a long hose on my primary reg with a shorter bungeed Octo (DIR style).

I needed the Computer before the Regs because I wanted just an SPG instead of a console, and the computer gives me depth and time (as with other useful information for my log).

This may or may not help you, but that's what I did.

Best,
-Graham

I was recently Open Water certified, and used gear provided by the instructor. I however am deeply interested in buying my own gear for future adventures. I am starting completely from scratch. I am living on a college student's income and plan on buying 1 piece at the time so that I can research each piece individually and make the most informed decision. So, I am wondering as to what brands everyone recommends, whereas I am interested in a good deal I want gear that will last for years to come and don't want to buy something that is going to quit working halfway through a dive.

1) Strictly from a safety standpoint, having own gear is the way to go. But as pointed out, it's costly and there is a bewildering variety of choices and can confuse you without some good advice.. Also as been pointed out, mask, fins/booties and snorkel....many shops require you have them for classes. Outside of that, BC or reg would be the next thing to buy.

2) I bought all my stuff new but I understand there are deals to be had. Used reg needs to be inspected and serviced if seller can't document last time it was serviced. BC needs to be inspected as well. These 2 things are your life support system and the only thing (besides your tank) keeping you alive.

3) Forget hunting (spearfishing) for a while. Too much task loading and while you might have a dive buddy, it can turn into a solo dive real quick.

pick what's best for you and what your needs are. what works well for others may not be right for you. i also believe in paying for good quality products, but that doesn't necessarily mean 'the best' or most expensive.

i just certified few months ago. i am also picking up few pieces at a time. i came to scubaboard when researching opinions for a BC. eventually wound up buying a Zeagle Stiletto back inflate in large part due to scubaboard opinions. originally was looking at another brand. once i decided what to buy my LDS was great. their prices are competitive with online sites, but was able to try on for comfort and fit before buying. because of Zeagle's component system we changed out a larger shoulder piece for extra comfort.

look online for close outs and deals. i've been to scuba.com, scubatoys, and leisurepro. all had amazing closeout deals.

When I got my OW I knew right then and there I wanted to go all the way up to tek so I bought a halcyon aluminum bp with wing (only brand available here). Reason for the aluminum is the travel weight, and I don't want to break my back during shore entries with a 6lb steel backplate with steel tank strapped to my back. BP also allows you to change tank holders for when you want to go twin tanks. I can also take my bcd apart so that I can pack in my suitcase in such a way that I can still fit all my geat except reg into my 26" backpack wheelie without sacrificing ruggedness compared to travel bcds (I dive at least 8 dives a month done in one weekend so I need something that can take a beating). I also felt more comfy with bp/w compared to the jacket type, but it's up to you which one's more comfy for you.

I also read through scuba magazines online for their top gear of the year and worked my way through the products given until I made my decision.

I made my purchases in this order: wetsuit, reg, computer, bcd, fins, smb w reel, weight pockets, lights, and other accessories that I felt I needed like O ring kit.

Definitely check out the demo and used section of leisurepro, they also have weekly specials (rhis week it was gloves) and the closeouts section too!

Someone asked me what to buy if they didn't want to buy the gear like reg or wetsuit etc since they were vacation divers. I told them you MUST have your own SMB!

Enjoy the hunt for your gear! I know I did! :)

Jarred, I've run the gamut of gear. The caveat of "know what you want to do" is a good one, but let me tell you one thing: Over time, these "goals" change as well.

Let me tell this story in photos:

When I started, I was a jobless graduate bitten by the diving bug. I was even willing to buy the gear I was certified in. The photo on the left was taken after my last check-out dive. Colorful.

Picture1.jpg

But I DID start out with a standard stab jacket and a pair colorful yellow fins for my very own first set of gear. During this time, my LDS initially tried foisting a BP/W on me, but at the time, I said no. Few years later I ended up with a typical BP/W (one of 2) and long-hose set-up, as can be seen above. Then I thought of the need for redundant air, so I got a pony. A year ago, I thought of doing doubles. So I eventually got that bit by bit.

Screenshot2011-03-08at102154AM.jpg

Two months ago, I got bitten by the vintage equipment bug. A recent photo is on the right. There was something about double-hose regs, as well as the freedom of relying on skill and not equipment (note the absence of a BCD).

At one point, I had 5 separate full sets of gear. I've currently managed to reduce it to 3 - my doubles kit, my double-hose kit which will now be my primary single-tank rig, and I'm trying to get rid of my old single-hose singles rig (though not trying too hard :D )

Bottom-line: Having a general idea is great, but realize that this can change over time. you will find that your gear will adapt as you do. The main thing is to go out and ENJOY using it :D (but for goodness' sake, whatever you get, get it in black! :D )

Back
Top Bottom