PLB's - registering / using overseas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Thailand, 2-3 times a year I'll do a live aboard to a fairly remote location. Now that i dive with my S/O, I've become more worried about being lost at sea and want to buy a PLB. However, I can't find any for sale in Thailand (only marine EPIRBs) so want to pick some up from Amazon USA. Can I register a us bought PLB in another country? Would there be anything wrong if I register it at my brother's house in USA? I understand that SAR assets in the places I go to may be limited / not so effective. So I'm also considering getting GlobalRescue or RedPoint insurance to help coordinate my rescue. Since I do a fair amount of traveling in SEA, it maybe worth to have overall.

Can I register a us bought PLB in another country?

Yes, but only after it is reprogrammed to that countries country code.

Would there be anything wrong if I register it at my brother's house in USA?

It doesn't matter where a PLB is registered, it will work anywhere. The only difference is the contact details and phone numbers of who they would contact if it were to be activated. If it activates, they would be calling the states to ask about it, not someone local.

I keep mine registered at my parents house in the States. Someone is almost always home, and if I set the thing off and they get a phone call validating the mayday, they'd certainly be able to confirm that I am out of the country, my general area, and no, it's probably not a false alarm.

I work OCONUS year 'round.

Back
Top Bottom