PLB/EPIRB on airplanes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I just bought a McMurdo FastFind+ (with GPS) with the dive cannister and we're headed to Palau. It seems like just the sort of thing to which the TSA might object. I'm bringing all the documentation on it just in case. But this brings me to the question: has anyone else taken a PLB or EPIRB on an airliner? Any trouble with that?

Thanks!

Yes, in September I flew to and around SE Asia with that exact set-up. No problems whatsoever. It will eat into your weight allowance though.

Thanks for the response!

Did you connect the PLB to your tank strap through the slot in the cannister? Did that get in the way, at all, for setting-up your rig?

I threaded a separate cam strap through the slot--which wasn't easy--then strapped it to the tank independent of my BC, where it stayed all week. If I'd had to take it on and off each day it still would have been a minimum of hassle.

This might seem ike a dumb question, but do you know what rescue agency is going to respond to the EPIRB and come look for you in Palau?

I honestly don't know the name of the rescue agency but most countries will send search and rescue people out when an EPIRB goes off. I do know that I got the idea from the Palau Aggressor, who provide personal EPIRBs to their clients for drift dives.

1. I have traveled with my FastFind + on airlines, no problem.

2. The beacon instructions specifically state that the beacon is not to be used anywhere except the United States. I took mine to Cozumel.

3. You may get a rescue party to search for you in Palau but it probably won't be timely.

4. I wore my canister on the left waist strap of my backplate, between the plate and the left waist D-ring.

5. Did you get the upgraded FastFind + that corrected the GPS deficiencies? The original FastFind + was found to be defective - it didn't transmit the GPS location if it was in the water. McMurdo is offering a free upgrade to correct this problem.

6. I found the FastFind + and canister to be slightly positively buoyant. You'll likely need a little extra weight if you've got your buoyancy finely-tuned.

WadeGuthrie:
My family and I just bought a McMurdo FastFind+ (with GPS) with the dive cannister and we're headed to Palau. It seems like just the sort of thing to which the TSA might object. I'm bringing all the documentation on it just in case. But this brings me to the question: has anyone else taken a PLB or EPIRB on an airliner? Any trouble with that?

Thanks!

I used one in ST Lucia, Yap and Palau. with no problems.

I did fasten it to my BC tank band.

I had no warning paper work as to where I could/not use it.
My understanding you could use it anywhere in the world. This doe's not mean the US coastguard would rescue you but they do work with other agencies around the world and shipping. IE a radio call to any ships in the area of the position given.

cdiver2:
I had no warning paper work as to where I could/not use it.
My understanding you could use it anywhere in the world.

The beacon needs to be registered with the U.S. government before use. You register the serial number, user name, emergency contact information, etc.

Perhaps it was this government agency that specifically stated the beacon was not to used outside of the USA. Maybe it wasn't the beacon instructions per se.

Doc Harry:
2. The beacon instructions specifically state that the beacon is not to be used anywhere except the United States. I took mine to Cozumel.

Yeah, I called the NOAA and McMurdo over that and both said that there was no problem using it overseas as long as it was registered in the USA. I'm thinking, at this point, that if I ever get to the point where I feel that I need to use this, then I'll be happy to pay the fine if they'll just come and try to collect :D .

3. You may get a rescue party to search for you in Palau but it probably won't be timely.

I'm curious -- why wouldn't they be timely?

4. I wore my canister on the left waist strap of my backplate, between the plate and the left waist D-ring.

My daughter's BC (she's the one that got the PLB, for obvious reasons) has an extra tank strap and we mounted the PLB to that.

5. Did you get the upgraded FastFind + that corrected the GPS deficiencies? The original FastFind + was found to be defective - it didn't transmit the GPS location if it was in the water. McMurdo is offering a free upgrade to correct this problem.

Good to know, thanks! I'll check into that!

BTW, we're back from the Palau trip and had no need for the PLB :wink: . It was cool how the other divers were curious about it and liked the idea of having one. Our dive guide told us that it would have been nice for some divers to have had one a few years ago -- 7 divers got lost at sea from Pelileu (sp?) but they only found 3 of the bodies. Yikes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom