PLB's and EPIRB's for Truk and/or Bikini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I'm planning some trips to Truk and Bikini this year and I was wondering if anybody had views about the merits of a PLB or EPIRB's that work in remote locations and if so what is the best sort of cannisters to store in whilst diving.

I have a Nautilus Lifeline Direct which I could take, however I found it a touch hit and miss on local charters here. It seems only Image Dive here in Perth has the AIS integrated plotter to pick up the signal.

I have a Garmin Descent watch as a back-up back-up computer so I quite like the idea of a Garmin InReach for integration with the watch, however I know nothing about them and the durability of the underwater case that goes with it,

Regards
G
I just returned from a diving Truk Lagoon aboard Odyssey and with Blue Lagoon Resort. As others have said, there are really no currents inside the lagoon. You're not going to get blown off. I carry a PLB for most off shore diving but did not bring it to Chuuk and felt no need for it. If you plan to dive outside the atoll (e.g. passes, Kuop Atoll) that would be another matter.

Back
Top Bottom