Plaza or Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never having stayed at either but been to both more than once, here's my .02:

For shorediving Buddy's is easier. They have a drive thru tank pickup at the back(street) side of the property. At the Plaza you drive to the SW corner of the parking lot near the Toucan fill station and carry tanks about 40-50'.

We boat dove with Toucan. They were great to dive with, mostly left you alone. Buddy's definitely has bigger boats/more divers per boat. If you plan to boat dive at Klein, Buddy's is definitely closer.

Buddy's diveshop is off their dive dock. Plaza's is near their dock on the south end of the resort. But there's no diving there. Plaza's dive site is 18Palms. It's near the north end of the resort. They do move tanks to the area for shorediving. From one of the Lagoon condos by the diveshop, it'd be a healthy walk with your gear.

We went to both diveshops, Toucan's was better. IMO it's the best on the island.

If you stay at Buddy's ask for the Lion's Dive area, it was a separate resort renovated just b4 Buddy's bought it last year. Since it's adjacent you have to walk across both properties to the Buddy's diveshop/dock now. But resorts run perpendicular to the water in that area so it's not far.

IMO Buddy's is more for divers, Plaza is also a resort/convention center for tourists. I've read better things about the Buddy's staff friendliness/helpfulness here.

Plaza has a beach with a bar, As I recall, they also had some watertoys there, and volleball. Sometimes there's a Friday night bbq with live music. Nice big pool. Buddy's has no beach being on the ironshore and I've never seen their pool. Someone mentioned here that the crowd at Buddy's Bar can be loud later at night.

Both are about the same distance from town more or less. Neither is walking range. Plaza is 5 minutes from the airport. Distance to divesites is also a wash, each is 5-10 min. from the good shore sites in it's area. We stay at BelMar condos south of the Plaza, they're nice, almost new and quiet. I posted Google Earth images showing both resorts here. Bonairetalk has resort info also.

tovster,
have not stayed at buddies, however they get good reviews here on this board and their price is very competitive.
i have stayed at plaza and enjoyed my stay there.
did all boat dives and saved the shore sites for snorkling.
there are good restaurants on the island and it's fun to ride around and see the sites.
everyone there was pleasant and we felt welcomed.
bonaire is a good spot for a family dive vacation.
regards,

I have never stayed at Plaza but have stayed several times at Buddy. We have always been pleased with Buddy's operation and staff. The drive thru air/nitrox station is as easy as it gets for shore diving. The reef in frount of Buddy is not the nicest on the island IMO but it's not bad either. The location of the dive shop and dock make night dives very easy.
I have never witnessed any noisy crowds, the bar is usually dead by 9ish. There is always a possibility that there was an overly noisy crowd there one night. I do agree that the "old" Lions Dive side is a little nicer than the original Buddy side but neither is bad. There are now 3 pools on site, one on the Lions Dive side and 2 on the Buddy side. One of the 2 on the Buddy side is connected to the beach bar. The Lions Dive side one is the nicer of them but as a guest of Buddy you can use any of them.
One advantage I feel Buddy has is the "Dive and Drive" package, esp for a first time visitor. It includes everything you need except lunch and dinner in one package for one price. Because the rental trucks are owned by Buddy you pick them up/drop them off at the resort. That reduces the hassel of getting one at the airport and the need to figure out how to get to the resort after you get the rental vehicle.
I doubt you would be unhappy at either place.

You might want to go to bonairetalk.com and look under trip reports before deciding. A gentalmen named Mike just posted a report about the Plaza, I think you need to take a look at.

Having stayed at the Plaza, go with Buddies. The Plaza is just to big and to expensive. I rarely hear a bad word about Buddies.

That reduces the hassel of getting one at the airport and the need to figure out how to get to the resort after you get the rental vehicle.
Please...if they can figure out how to get to their home airport, I don't think Bonaire presents much of a problem. :shakehead

Just stay along the water on the main road and sooner or later you'll get there. The big decision is left or right out of the airport. Unless you're going to Lagoen Hill or Soroban...

First time I've ever mildly disagreed with herman...:rofl3:

Well .....if you insist. I still say 5 turns and a roundabout after flying all day can be difficult. :mooner:
Seriously, having the trucks at Buddy is nice, no waiting in line at the airport to pick one up or a last minute rush to drop it off at the end of the week. The drive from the airport to Buddy or the Plaza is not bad but the international road signs and one way streets can be confusing....Speaking of driving on Bonaire, a horn toot and a hand up is a common friendly hello....not the normal one finger salute we are use to.
Blasted PBD...I need an Amstel.

I'm with you on that Herman. PBD does suck badly.

The ride from the airport to Buddy's is a little weird and confusing. Four trips later and those signs that look like Do Not Enter still confuse me (even though I have learned to ignore them). On the other hand I would rather deal with that little bit of confusion than that lousy 10 minute walk to the parking lot every time you want to go somewhere at the Plaza.

Been to Bonaire twice and each time stayed at Buddy's. Love the place, people are very good, good food and with the vehicles there no hassell with renting a car. Trying to get back there this winter/spring- to Bonaire and to Buddy's
Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom