Playacar - PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you have the agreed dive price ... which you have agreed for the dive(s) then you tip the deckhand, the captain & the DM ....
How much do you tip them ?

I'm amazed at this level of tipping ... all new to me.

The prices for dives in Mexico are very good!!! You tip if you want to and if you had a good experience. Look at it this way. A 2 tank dive in Hawaii will cost you $110.00 plus 15-20 for equipment if you need it. The same dive in Mexic PDC is around 60-65 and that can include equipment or it may cost $10.00 more. For the day I typically tip $20.00. That covers the Dm and capt. It's still a great deal.

That may be good compared to US prices ... but that is more than I have ever paid before ... for example diving in Red Sea ... I pay £30 ($60) for a 2 tank dive, incl hotel pick up, full day out on boat & includes lunch,... and no tips.

You are saying incl Tips it's $85

So if you say $20 for deckhand & capt. ... ($10 each I assume) ... how much do you tip DM ?

... is the $20 a tip per day ? or at the end of the dives with any one diver boat ?

I'm glad this issue came up ... otherwise I would not have tipped.

On a small boat with six divers you will have a capt and a dive master. There is no need for a deck hand. Tip what you feel is deserved.. If you have a bad experience don't tip. Tipping is not manadtory. You can tip whatever you feel or don't tip at all. When I was younger and just lucky enough to scrape enough money to make a trip my tips were small or nothing.

If you don't want to tip just for principle don't tip.

Usually you only tip the help (hourly workers) not the store owner even if he's the dive master.

I usually tip at the end of the day or the end of the trip if we use the same dive op all week and have the same crew.

It's pretty normal to tip $5 per tank in Mexico. That should be divided up by the crew, though you can give each one something if you like. I have given a bit more or less, depending on the service. Also, usually it's at the end of the week if we have the same crew all week. Otherwise, daily if you don't know. At least in Cozumel, I am happy to pay it, given the service received, which is normally excellent.

It's pretty normal to tip $5 per tank in Mexico. That should be divided up by the crew, though you can give each one something if you like. I have given a bit more or less, depending on the service. Also, usually it's at the end of the week if we have the same crew all week. Otherwise, daily if you don't know. At least in Cozumel, I am happy to pay it, given the service received, which is normally excellent.

Is that $5 per tank per day ? ... so for a 5 day 2 tank per day trip ... you are talking about $50

Back
Top Bottom