Playa Samara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikefox

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever dove Playa Samara, Costa Rica? I will be there for a month taking a Spanish class. The town has a dive shop (Pura Vida) but I can find very little info about diving in the area. It seems most of the popular dives are North of Samara. I was also wondering about water temps in July. We are taking the bus from San Jose so I want to pack as light as possible. Usually I'm fine with a skin if the temps are 80+.

I"ve never dove in that area...but, that's right in Guanacaste and as for diving the diving there is not the best in the world..but, it's not bad either. I've dove there many times..well, in Guanacaste and i think it's good alot to see. Now if you do a trip to either Catalina or Bat Island you will see alot. in Catalina Island you will be able to dive with Bull sharks....and have a chance to see giant mantas. as for water temps in that month..they should range in the range of 75-80 or so. I'm one to get cold easily and i only use a skin. Now if you're taking the bus from San Jose...good luck it's a 5 hr. or so drive on awful roads..very bumpy and the bus drivers are psychos. it's not bad though.

I have been warned the bus ride will be an adventure! Playa Samara claims to have the best swimming beach because it is protected by a coral reef. I'm hoping to dive that reef as much as possible. If the dive shop in Samara does not go to Catalina, I plan to go north for a weekend and find someone that does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom