Playa Ocotal Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a trip to Playa Ocotal Costa Rica.

We had 6 good days of diving with Rocket Frog Divers. Neri, Ben, Chris, Jordan, and Yasir do a good job of running a safe and enjoyable operation. Favorite dive site was probably Big Scare.

I'm two weeks back from diving for a week with Rocket Frog. Nere and crew are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dive sites I visited: Blanket information: The first two days had a stout wind blowing, so the water temps were in the upper 70's and vis was 50 feet (ish). After that, the wind died, water temps came up to the low 80's and vis improved. All dives were done in a 5mm.

Argentina Point: 82 feet 41 minutes. Eagle rays, and very large diamond rays. Wide variety of eels. Huge schools of sargent majors and grunts

Tortuga: 74 feet 48 minutes. It's called Tortuga but we saw sharks. Silver tip reef sharks hanging around being social.

Turning Point: 69 feet 50 minutes. Sharks and rays again. Silver tip reef, diamond rays, and large school of cownose rays. Second favorite dive

The island: 61 feet 48 minutes. Large schools of sargent majors and grunts. Lots of eels.

Shark Shallow: 79 feet 41 minutes. Started finding octopi on this dive. Had a spotted eagle ray make a visit. Sea Horse right at mooring block in the rope.

Surface interval: Two large green sea turtles mating on the surface.

Punta Gorda: 68 feet 53 minutes Found a frog fish.

The Island (Night dive) 58 feet 1 hour 7 minutes. Found two octopus and many lobster. Saw two rays mating with a third trying to get in on the action. Must have been the moon or something.

Big scare: 117 feet 43 minutes. Bull Sharks. 4-6 came to check us out.

Black Rock:79 feet 44 minutes Large schools of fish.

The aquarium: 96 feet 41 minutes. Sadly I have no notes on this dive.

Rainbow: 71 feet 59 minutes By this dive, I could find the octopi.

I enjoyed Costa Rica diving. There were some currents and surge on the dives. I was told some of it was more than normal. No, the vis is not Cozumel, but there is still plenty to see.

It was a fun trip and I would go back.

We stayed at the Los Almendros de Ocotal. We used VRBO to find the condo. Great experience. I took a day off to go play golf at the Papagayo Golf Course. I was lucky enough to get to play at members rates $35 (worth it) not guest rates $100 (very not worth it).

That was the perfect place for our family, too. We loved the location (SO close to Rocket Frog, Father Rooster restaurant and the beach), as well as the infinity pool with grill area right across the lane.

How's Pria, the resident dog, doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pria is great. She hung out on our patio and snookered table scraps on occasion. She's hard to resist. It seemed she was just as happy to get a head rub and a belly scratch on a regular basis. We met the owners, Carol and Gordy. I played golf with Gordy. He makes an AWESOME rum cake.

We did breakfast and lunch in condo and ate out at dinner. We ate at Father Rooster x2, Pacific Lobster, Ginger (Playa Hermosa) Casa del Mar, Rocio's Kitchen (personal Chef)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom