Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Still trying to figure out if I'm going to Coz or Playa, but wanted to see what people had to say. I'm considering the Reef Club Playacar for me and my girlfriend...anyone have experience there?

What about diving...is it basically the same diving as in Coz since they are so close to each other? What would a good shop be to dive with?

Playa has nicer beaches in my opinion but the diving isn't as good as Coz. My wife and I like the beaches better in Playa and she is a non-diver so we've been staying there for the last couple of years. I ride the ferry over to Coz and dive with Blue Angel. They pick you up at the ferry dock in their boat and off you go. I've never stayed at the Reef Club so can't help you there. We stay at the Royal Hideaway which is an outstanding resort. The ferry ride to Coz is about 45 min each way and if I remember it costs about $10 round trip. If you are going just for the diving I'd recommend just staying in Coz.

Soggy,

Was just in PdC last August for 3 weeks. Had a great time. If you both are divers and want this to be a "Dive Trip", then I would say that Coz is the place to go. However if you want good diving and lot of other dry distractions then PdC is the way.

Closer to the Ruins, Jungle adventures, 5th Ave for nightlfe and great resturants. I even got a day of diving in on Coz by timing the ferrys correctly (early morning, late evening). Stayed at Shangri-la Caribe and dove with Cyan Ha (oldest, nicest shop in PdC). Ask for Emilio of Roberto. Although this shop may be too far from your resort (north end of PdC).

The bonus for this locale is that there's some great diving in the cenotes near by. It' like diving in Gin, unbelieveable.

Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

Me and Joe are in Cabo San Lucas sometime soon. We are trying to go between March and April if we can avoid the Spring Breakers...

Why not go there and meet up for a cocktail?

Soggy, I'll be arriving (PDC) the day you're heding back.

There's no comparison between Coz and PDC reefs. PDC, while somewhat protected by Coz, is still exposed, and thus, the viz is significantly less. Last April, the avg viz on my dives was about 60 feet. In Coz, it's probably 100 or more.

But, in PDC you do have the cenotes in your backyard. PM me if you would like more information on the package pricing I have received in my inquiries with Tank-Ha and DiveMike. (I think I'm going with Mike).

HI I stayed north of PDC last March and got in two days of diving. Did two dives in the Cenotes which were really a nice change. Very inteesting.

Also Tank Ha, and maybe others, will run a boat over to Coz to dive there. We did that and really enjoyed it. Probably did not get on the best reefs but it was nice just the same.
Only downer was the cost, trips were $100 each for two tanks. We also got hooked up with two brand new divers in the Cenotes which really reduced our dive times.

We are going to Coz Feb 28th and staying at the Iberostar. Dive ops will pick you up at the southern hotel piers and you are minutes from the reefs.

Have fun
Gary

I have heard that some dive ops in PdC will run a boat over to the Coz reefs, but I don't recommend it. It's about 12 miles across the channel, and the shielding effect of the island from the swells of the open Caribbean doesn't go out very far. In a small boat, it would probably be a very uncomfortable ride, and on a large dive boat, it will likely take a couple of hours each way. Catch the waterjet and dive with a Coz dive op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom