Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisloco

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going to be in playa 2/5-2/12 08 looking for a good medium depth dive or two. May be interested in a cenote. My wife and dive buddy is a little scared of these. It's been a year since we have had an ow dive. So I am looking for something to ease her back into the water and build her confidence. Looking for a recommendation for sites and for a good dive shop and dm to go with. Also, a couple of years ago we dove in Coz. after a big hurricane, are the reefs along the coast as pretty and dramatic as some of the reefs and walls in Coz? Looking forward to this trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I just came back from play del carmen. I did 2 dives in a cenote. Very different and cool. I do not know the name, but I do not think that matters. There are many cenotes to try. I would think most of them are cool.

Here are the picts:
Marc's Dives/Playa Del Carmen - Cenote 2008

I dove out of Scuba Libre. They made me wait 2 hours at the shop to start the day off. The dive master pass me to a different group since I was alone. Then drove me to the hotel with a 3rd shop.

Going to be in playa 2/5-2/12 08 looking for a good medium depth dive or two. May be interested in a cenote. My wife and dive buddy is a little scared of these. It's been a year since we have had an ow dive. So I am looking for something to ease her back into the water and build her confidence. Looking for a recommendation for sites and for a good dive shop and dm to go with. Also, a couple of years ago we dove in Coz. after a big hurricane, are the reefs along the coast as pretty and dramatic as some of the reefs and walls in Coz? Looking forward to this trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I am not that impressed with the reefs around PDC. The diving is good, but none of my dives have been GREAT.

A good operation for the cenotes, is Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya. The cenotes are the area's claim to diving fame! The cenotes are a constant mid 70's, so at least a full 3mm suit is in order. The light play in Dos Ojos is the reason you dive cenotes. If your wife is comfortable with Dos Ojos, then try the Bat Cave. The feel of Bat Cave is "darker" and more confining.

My wife and I dove Coz and PDC in November and had great dives. We found the structure to be much better in Coz, but the sea life to be more abuatndant in PDC. Our best PDC dives were Tortuga and Barricuda reefs, where we saw all sorts of sea life including 20+ turtles in two dives! By the way, by wife was afraid of the cenotes too, but now I am kicking myself for not going alone. We dove with a French outfit called Phocea and thought they were great.

I dove 5 times over 2 days w/ Jason in PDC last December and loved it. If you're looking for knowledgeable, safe, fun, suck your whole tank, personable, great customer service & video capability on your dives out of a shop - then look him up. If you're looking for crowded boats, static bottom time, care more about getting back to take the next group kind of folks - he's not going to be your guy!

I dove Mama Vina, Barracuda, Jardines, Los Arcos and Cerebros. Jardines and Cerebros had the most life, Mama Vina was pretty darn cool for a small wreck and had some nice close reef we finished on. Barracuda also had lots of fish and some turtles too! Don't ask about Los Arcos - that was my deep dive (was doing AOW cert w/ Jason) and I sucked through my air in no time watching egg yolks and doing math!! Was still fun though! Can't wait to go back and see some of the bigger boys that hang out in that deeper stuff!

I posted a review and pictures as well in this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom