Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got home from a trip to PDC. Dove with Jason. (playacountryboy) Divingtigger, and Clambake were in the party of divers. We had a very good experience with Jason. Small boat, very personal, knowledgable..

If your wife is caustrophobic keep her out of the Cenotes!!! You need to be able to maintain your bouyence control in small areas changing depth and moving slow.

Hope you have a good time,

To echo what Dwardtx and DivingTigger said about our trip last week, and others about their experiences, Jason at Fantaseadive runs a first class operation with and emphasis on personal service and custom tailored dives!! You will not regret connecting with Jason!! You'll love diving Tortougas Reef and Baracuda Reef!! As for the cenotes, I also echo Doug's comments and would not recommend it to anyone who is not totally in control of their bouyancy. What was the term Klaus used to describe the peril of bouncing into a stalagtite? On yeah, "Myan brain surgery"!! However, if you're up for going it alone, it's a truly AMAZING experience . . . and there are plenty of spas in the area for your better half to enjoy for the day (at least that's how it worked for me)!!

I am envious, but already booked another trip in March!!

Enjoy,

- Rob

Hi, I just got back from Playa and my girlfriend was also scared after not diving 2 years.
We started with two easy going afternoon dives and it was fantastic. We saw two bull sharks.
Next day we went for Tortugas, the turtles and everything went just fine. We did one dive Cenotes and Cozumel and also the next holidays will be diving holidays. We had just a good time with Divemex. Very nice service, great dives and good prices. Diving in Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya - Home

Going to be in playa 2/5-2/12 08 looking for a good medium depth dive or two. May be interested in a cenote. My wife and dive buddy is a little scared of these. It's been a year since we have had an ow dive. So I am looking for something to ease her back into the water and build her confidence. Looking for a recommendation for sites and for a good dive shop and dm to go with. Also, a couple of years ago we dove in Coz. after a big hurricane, are the reefs along the coast as pretty and dramatic as some of the reefs and walls in Coz? Looking forward to this trip. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi buddy I am from nova scotia and i would recommend jason, he dives alot and i have been here since last year and will be here when your here, i will be returning to canad on fed 12th but i have been diving with jason along all the reefs here and all i can say is he,ll treat you right and if its just you and the wife, ill go along and help out, i seem to see alot of willdife, or thats what people keep telling me, so if you want to go let jason know and ill come along and i can guarenteee youll have fun, he knows just the right spots....i been diving as a living for 14 years....it paid my house off so i must be doing something right.......i would recommend something to the south such as barricuda or tortuga reefs.....there always a sure bet, you can see at least 4 turtles on each reef ...if some of the folks tell you that the diving here is not as good as cozumel, it is just that there is alot of people that come here and want to dive everyday their here, well when the conditions are poor, the diving will be poor, not just here but anywhere on earth...pick 2 or 3 good days a week and enjoy....

Looks like you've already made your trip, but for any others' reference- we dove a cenote with Scuba Libre 2-17. Chac-mool cenote. I have no complaints about the shop. We arrived at 8:30 am and were on our way a little after nine. 4 us with Philippe, our guide. He gave us a lot of insight into the history of the cenote as well. We were lucky to be there on a day with hardly any other divers. At one point, we surfaced underground in a cavern to look at the stalagtites, etc. I'll definitely dive the cenotes again when we go back and based on my experience would recommend Scuba Libre.....

I use Abyss when in Playa, have used several times and they are plenty good. Mama Vina is a good beginners wreck on a sandy bottom at about 93 feet. Baracuda reef is good and there is a reef that I cannot remember (gotta check my dive log) that is about a half hour north of Playa that is really good. Saw the largest turtle that I have ever seen on this reef. I'll look and see if I can remember its name.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom