Playa del Carmen Oct 11,2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suni126

Reaction score
My scuba guy & I are going on a cruise in just a few short weeks ( thank goodness - I hear the call of the great aqua blue). We will be stopping in Calica/Playa del Carmen on Wednesday Oct 11th. Unfortunately, the cruise line has taken the "C" dive off the excursion line-up and all that remains is the "20 minute tourist dunk". Any recommendations as to local dive shops to set up some dive action on my own? We'll be in port for about 6-7 hours. Appreciate any help!! Ciao for now. ~S.

Hi Suni, I had travel a lot to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen. I sugest that instead of Calica, you should left your vehicle at Playa del Carmen and take the Ferry for Cozumel, that trip last about 45 minutes. Taking your car to Cozumel will take about 2 hours, aside the time to load and unload the vessel. Regarding Shops to go Scuba Diving, to recomend is dangerous because some people have good experiences with someone and anothers not. A big runner there is AquaWorld, and Scuba Caribe.
Regards
Mario Pacheco Reynaud

In Playa, Tank-Ha is a very good operation. Abyss and Yucatek are also good. Going over to Cozumel would be fun, but it would probably be a challenge to meet your timetable. I would recommend staying on the mainland side. The diving is not as good, but it is certainly worthwhile, and your schedule will be less hectic. If you go to Cozumel, there are many shops other than AquaWorld, which is a huge watersports operator in Cancun with an outpost in Coz. To be polite, they are not oriented to experienced divers. I have heard many negative comments about them. I have had good luck with Dive House, and many people on the board recommend Blue XT Sea. The owner, Christi, is a member of the board and a regular poster

Just being there in May, we used Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras that is about 15 minutes from Playa. They were Wonderful and they took us to Chauc Mool Cenote for cavern diving, which if you have never been is something you DEFINATELY should do, you will absolutely love it and it's beautiful and a once in a lifetime exeperience. I totally recommend you contacting them. They will pick you up and take you to the cenote........if that is something you don't want to do, we dove right there off the mainland in Puerto Aventuras also, not bad. They will pick you up. You could also take the ferry over to Coz and we dive with Dive Paradise, they are a very well known and respected dive shop in the states. My dad is a DM and instructor here in VA and they use that shop in Coz. Good Luck, I do recommend the cenote diving.

suni126:
My scuba guy & I are going on a cruise in just a few short weeks ( thank goodness - I hear the call of the great aqua blue). We will be stopping in Calica/Playa del Carmen on Wednesday Oct 11th. Unfortunately, the cruise line has taken the "C" dive off the excursion line-up and all that remains is the "20 minute tourist dunk". Any recommendations as to local dive shops to set up some dive action on my own? We'll be in port for about 6-7 hours. Appreciate any help!! Ciao for now. ~S.

A good friend of mine dove with Dive Mike out of PDC. HERE is his trip report. HERE is the website.

I'd highly recommend that whomever you ultimately decide to go with that they are very aware of your schedule, and make sure you are back on the boat. If you dive on a non-cruise dive with an independant OP the boat will NOT wait.

Have fun, and dive safe!

Tank-Ha is my personal favorite in Playa: http://www.tankha.com/index.html

Diablo Divers are also excellent, especially for the Cenotes (Puerto Aventuras):

http://www.diablodivers.com/

With only 6-7 hours, you probably don't have enough time to do Cozumel (although, Tank-Ha do actually have a direct trip using their own boats on certain days). As many Ops have somewhat set times when they go out, I would get an exact hour-by-hour schedule for when you'll be in port, then call around for your booking.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom