Playa Del Carmen Divemaster Certification / Accommodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello! I am looking to go to Playa Del Carmen Dec 20 - Jan 10 to get a get my divemaster certification. Anyone have any suggestion on dive shops or accomidations? Thanks,

Hello! I am looking to go to Playa Del Carmen Dec 20 - Jan 10 to get a get my divemaster certification. Anyone have any suggestion on dive shops or accomidations? Thanks,

Get the Playa map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides. It has all the hotels sorted by rates and their websites. My preferences for hotels are the Riviera Caribe Maya, Hotel Lunata and Deseo. The map also covers most of the restaurants with good reviews and price ranges.

If you go with Aquanauts, they are located in Puerto Adventuras, about 20 minutes from PDC. Might be worthwhile to stay there instead of Playa. Cabs are expensive, the "collectivos" are a pain, and renting a car is a hassle.

Here are the two best sites for the Mayan Riviera, Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info and Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation. The Playa info forum is the place for Playa del Carmen. Heather handles the hotel reservations for the site and is very good. The Locogringo site is the best place for hotels/condos in the Akumal area.

Since it appears you are staying for 3 weeks you might consider renting a condo as opposed to a hotel room. I was in Playa del Carmen in October and did some dives with an operation called DiveMike. The shop was a half block to the beach and the owner, Michael Bold, also runs a business that does rentals of condos for divers. I know this because when I asked for a business card for my dive logbook, the back of the business card was the rental company. If you are splitting the cost with other people a two bedroom condo may save you some money. The shop dive shop can be found at www.divemike.com and the other at the address www.vimexcondos.com. I can't comment on the instructional part but the dives were well run with knowledgable divemasters and polite staff. This gives you an option anyways. I have dove with Dennis at Diablo Divers and he is A1. There are also condo options in Puerto Adventuras as well but the area is quiet with little to do after diving. PDC has a vibrant nightlife and a lot more to offer for shopping ect. Best of luck with whatever you choose. Good luck with your certification ... and most af all - enjoy your vacation!!!!

Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras, just 10 minutes south of Playa del Carmen, is a great shop with a friendly, well-trained staff. PA is not as crowded as PDC as previously mentioned, so there's no hustle and bustle and stress. If you are interested in renting a condo there, I can hook you up with a few referrals.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dive shops in Playa Del Carmen? I will be there in the middle of December staying at the Iberostar Tucan.

Thank you!

At Iberostar you find Dressel Divers, which is one of the biggest dive shop in the Riviera Maya. If you want something less crowded, there are in Playa del Carmen several options, and sure most of them will pick you up in the hotel. Cheers

We stayed at Iberostar Tucan in September 2008 for a few days. Good food, so-so resort otherwise. We dove ceynotes with Scuba Playa in PDC ( Diving Playa del Carmen - Scuba Playa Mexico - Dive Shop ) - pretty nice operators, very reasonable prices. Tankha Divers is another operator next door (Calle 10 in PDC). Unfortunately the winds were high during our stay there (which seems to happen pretty often in PDC) and the port was closed the whole time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for dive shops in Playa Del Carmen? I will be there in the middle of December staying at the Iberostar Tucan.

Thank you!

Accommodations: On the cheap side, I would stay at the Hotel Cielo. It is right downtown. Great atmosphere. Clean and not too expensive (if you can get a room). The Iberostar in Playacar is very nice too.

As for dive shops: I would select Geofish. Gerrardo is a fantastic instructor (former Course Director) and don't think you could find better in the Yucatan. For more backup on this matter, please review my posts in the following:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/263051-going-rate-dm.html

The GeoFish guys (Max and Morgan) are on here all the time. You can also PM them.

Good Luck!

JcF

Back
Top Bottom