Playa del Carmen Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buddy and I are arriving playa for 7 days (Wives and kids are staying home this time... How will we ever survive the torture?(note heavy tone of sarcasm)
School of fish, caves, cenotes. Just cant wait. Thanks for the posts. See you next Wed.

January 13, 2009: Tortugas and Sabalos

I didn't go to the Cenotes, but they went to Chiken-Ha and they said it was great. We have been surprised with some very cloudy weather and rain for the last few days. Today 8:30am the skies were very cloudy, but hardly any wind blowing at 2knots/2.3MPH ESE. The temperature was 77.4F/23C. The water was like glass this morning. It was the kind of water that you look at it as you are riding to the site and it looks like you are looking into a mirror.

Tortugas: Today was a great day for Tortugas. Lately the Turtles have been pretty shy and not turning up, but today they were on display. We saw 3 turtles with in the first 10 minutes of the dive. We also saw 2 giant Cubera Snapper that looked to be about 3.5ft/1.1Met. The visibility was pretty good today at about 80ft/24met. The water temp at our max depth which was 76ft/23met was 76F/22.3C, a little chilly because of the rain. Tortugas is always a great dive even without the turtles. It is just so full of life and the current always makes it such a pleasant dive.

Sabalos: Today at Sabalos we saw more turtles than at Tortugas. We saw a total of 4 turtles, all being pretty young. They were all eating on top of the reef and I even got a great shot of one swimming to the surface. Check the picture below. As always the schools of Grunts and Snapper we in their designated spots, right outside of the caves at both spots. The visibility was okay at about 60ft/18met. Just another great dive and another great day diving in Paradise!

PIC_0197.jpg

Love the dive reports, and please keep them coming!

Love the the daily updates. keep them coming!!!

January 14, 2009: Mama Vina and Sabalos

Today was another overcast day, the kind of weather that is great for naps. The wind was blowing pretty good today at 8:30 the time of our dive. The wind speed was at 14knots/17MPH blowing NNE. The temperature was at 75F/22C, so a bit colder than the last couple days. But we all know that it's what's below the surface that counts and today was a spectacular day for diving.

Mama Vina: It's always such a treat to dive this wreck. As you come up to it you can see it in the distance and you get a very eerie, but excited feeling. Today Mama Vina was doing it's job as our areas cleaning station. The Barracuda and giant schools of Permits were out in full force today. I am glad I put new batteries in my light yesterday because once we were inside, that light brought the floor of opened and eaten mollusks out for everyone to see (truly amazing. these shells are covering the entire floor of the wreck and all because the local Octopus can't get enough to eat). Great dive with the visibility being around 90ft/27met at our max depth which was 92ft/27.8met. Water was a bit chilly at 77F/23C.

Sabalos: Sabalos is always a great second dive to end the trip on. It's always so full of life and the visibility it always good. Today the vis was at about 70ft/21met at our max depth which was 43ft/13met. Only one turtle, but a lot of Oceanic Triggerfish, and I mean a lot, probably a school of about 40 of them. The highlight of the dive was the big Green Moray that was swimming in the open water (see photo below). Great dive and once again..... another tough day at the office.

Take care everyone and happy diving.

PICT0129.jpg

January 15, 2009

No dives today. Weather was horrible. Winds were blowing at 15knots/20MPH NE, the waves were at 7.5ft/2.3met. It was raining all day and it has just now slowed down. Not a very good day, but keep our heads up cause Mama Vina is tomorrow, cross your fingers for us! Sorry no report, but expect one for tomorrow except of course if the port is closed.

January 15, 2009

No dives today. Weather was horrible. Winds were blowing at 15knots/20MPH NE, the waves were at 7.5ft/2.3met. It was raining all day and it has just now slowed down. Not a very good day, but keep our heads up cause Mama Vina is tomorrow, cross your fingers for us! Sorry no report, but expect one for tomorrow except of course if the port is closed.

Just wondering how often the port closes each year due to weather? (outside of hurricanes)

To be honest, not that much. Of course it is closed quite a bit during hurricane season, but other than that it is a real rarity. Also it seems it is a flip of a coin to determine whether the port is closed or not because some days it will be a nice day with some swells and wind, and other days the water will be horrible and choppy and the port will be open. But usually out side of hurricane season the port is not closed very much. If I were to put a number on it, in a month outside of hurricane season the port is closed maybe 2 or 3 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom