Playa del Carmen Cenote temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we were just diving in the beginning of November there and 72-76 was basically the temp range for both Cenotes (Dos Ojos and Tajmahal). I was wearing a skin and a 3 mil, my husband had on a 1mm with a 3mm over it. I never get cold, but I asked for our third dive to be shortened - I was cold. I think a 5 mil would have been more appropriate. It was just my husband and I with Nicolas of www.CenotExperience.com.mx - good price, very attentive.

The cenote diving was amazing! Totally different that open water - Enjoy!

Looking at the readouts for the 20+ dives I did over the last couple of weeks, the fresh water was pretty reliably 77 degrees, with the salt water being one to three degrees warmer.

I think cenote tours can be done okay in a 3 mil -- I did mine with a 3 mil and a 2 mil hooded vest. But you'll be more comfortable in a 5 mil, especially if you do any floating around and talking after the dive.

I'm diving dry down there these days, but the dives are about 90 minutes long sometimes, so a wetsuit doesn't cut it for me!

Another recommendation for a tour operator -- contact Dennis Weeks, who is Pez de Diablo on this board. He and his partner, Natalie, are good folks, safety conscious and very experienced (Dennis taught my Full Cave class).

FEB/06 - 77F Ponderosa
77F Dos Ojos
JUN/07 - 77F Chak Mol
77F Kukulkan
MAR/09 - 77F The Pit
77F Mystic River
JUL/09 - 77F Dos Ojos X2
77F Chikin-Ha
77F Taj Mahal X2
Pretty consistent temperatures all year round. It just feels colder some days depending on the air temp when you're getting in and out. I dove them with a 3mm and a skin under. I just bought a 5mm and will use it in the cenotes from now on.

The temp in the cenotes is very consistant: 77 F.

I have seen it at 76 F in the winter and I do see the temperature hit 78 F in the summer time. This is based on the last 7 years of diving the Cenotes.

Dennis

Yes, it was actually quite interesting to look at the temperature readouts on my Liquivision (which graphs them). Some of them almost look like the device was malfunctioning, because the graphs are so flat! But any time we went beneath the halocline, the temperature went up a bit.

I was in El Eden (Ponderosa) on Sunday, it was 76F above the halocline and 78-79F below it. I was very comfortable in a 3mm but I run pretty warm. Dove Friday/Saturday in the ocean in just a rash guard and board shorts. Ocean temps ranged from 80-83.

5/08 - Dos Ojos was 75F
6/09 - Temple of Doom was 75-76F
6/09 - Grand Cenote was 75-76F
12/09 - El Eden was 76 - 79F

Amazing the difference in feel of only 3 degrees above and below the halocline.

I was VERY impressed with El Eden, liked it the best of my cenote dives thus far!

My computer must be wrong; I just went and double checked and it shows 72 degrees for all three dives. Before posting the first time my husband and I disagreed on temps, he insisted 76 and I thought 72. I suppose he is right, sometimes. My three dives hardly equal the amount of experience the above folks have, so I would go with what they say. However on a different trip I dove for 12 days straight, many times a day in 78 degree temps in a 3mil and was never cold. Maybe the Cenote A/C was on the day I went diving? :wink: Either way be prepared for chilly temps, just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom