Playa del Carmen area for a day from Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
On non-dive days has anyone taken the ferry from Coz over to the Playa del Carmen area for the day? If so, how difficult was it and what is there to do once on the other side. The better half in my life has suggested visiting the beaches. How are the beaches?

I have a business card from this past year from a restaurant we ate at. It was the best for the whole week while on the Yucatan Peninsula. It is whopperjawed (s Ga pronunciation) but it looks as if it says "Casa la del aqua" it may be "casa del la aqua". Go south and visit Tulum. Go to Puerto Adventuras and visit Dive Adventuras dive shop and do the cenote dives. It was the highlight of my family's trip last year. Enjoy
Rick

Rent a car and visit the east side of Cozumel. White sand but unmaintained so there will be some washed up trash. But when is the last time you layed on a beach and couldn't see anyone else? And there are a couple place to eat & drink.

Playa has been voted one of the most nicest beaches in the world...They got #4 or something like that. But Visit the Blue Parrott swing bar and relax on the water...Its the best...Its more Europe flavor as a lot of Europeans visit....Enjoy!!

Did a day in Playa when I was there 3 weeks ago. Of group I went with most decided to rent jeeps and go around island. having done that before, we decided to go over to Playa. Ferries run every hour and take 30 minutes. Was very hot. of course everyone is trying to sell something. Ate at Senor Frogs and went back to Cozumel

for a week in Playa, and they loved it (although they still prefer Cozumel over Playa and Isla Mujeres, which they have also visited with me). As Dan said, it is a much more European than North American town, with a markedly more sophisticated tone, once you get four or five blocks north of the ferry pier. The beaches, although somewhat slender in spots right in town, are beautiful, with fine white sand and the same gorgeous blue water we love in Coz.

You will be chagrined to discover that shopping can get to be seriously injurious to your credit cards, with less of the cruiseship-souvenir marketing that dominates Coz trade. Keep an eye on the spouse!

There is a wide variety of good restaurants, although my favorite, Yaxche (which specialized in Yucatecan fare), has apparently tanked. There are some excellent Argentinian grills and seafood spots, including one called Terraya, I believe, which sits on the beach and advertises, "We were here before the town was.". The beaches, even those right downtown, are topless, and I have been witness to some third-degree sunburns on customarily shielded (but quite admirable) mammaries while enjoying the local fruit of the fermented grain at seaside venues.

The north end of Quinta Avenida, the stylish main street, and the lanes branching off it have cobblestone streets here and there, and there is dense foliage hanging over the street like a canopy.

So Playa can be a very pleasant change of pace, but you might want to rent a room for the day as a pied-a-terre since the heat and walking around will make a short siesta a blessing, and the availability of a shower after the beach will also be pleasant.

Enjoy.

<')///><

Getting to Playa del Carmen is no problem just got to the ferry pier and buy tickets and jump on. Playa is a pretty sea shore tourist town with nice beaches. renting a jeep or car and driving to Tulum is really a good idea, it's hot along the ride and at the reception center but when you get to the archeological site it's self, the ocean breeze is nice and cool. it's not as impressive as Chichen Itza or even Coba, but the late period walled site is really cool, hire a guide or mingle in with a tour if you can, you'll get more out of it.
renting a jeep on Cozumel and driving around the island for a day is fun also, the wind swept beaches on the Caribbean side of the island are wide, sandy and secluded, just be careful of the rip tides if you get in the water, they can be very bad and there is no one over there to fish you out if you pulled out to sea. stop in a Coconuts for good food and great drinks and a beautiful view... ask to see the family albums, (i'll leave that to you imagination and as a piece of bait.)

have a great trip,
marc
ScubaTexas:
On non-dive days has anyone taken the ferry from Coz over to the Playa del Carmen area for the day? If so, how difficult was it and what is there to do once on the other side. The better half in my life has suggested visiting the beaches. How are the beaches?

sharky60:
... stop in a Coconuts for good food and great drinks and a beautiful view... ask to see the family albums, (i'll leave that to you imagination and as a piece of bait.)

Mmm, yes, but be sure not to have kids around when you ask to see them or else you'll have some 'splainin' to do...

The ferry runs on time hourly. A good ride unless there is a storm.

While in Cozumel, check out the putt-putt mini golf. Go to the left hand side of the square(DQ side) and then 2 blocks back, its on the lefthand side. The kids will love it and one of the most challenging courses I've seen, but fun none the less. If it is hot that day, it is the perfect place, it sits at the highest point of the island and is shadded by banana trees.

ScubaTexas:

I actually like Playa del Carmen better than Cozumel. In fact I doubt very much that I'll go back to Cozumel unless I'm strictly there for diving. Mainland Yucatan is fabulous. Rent a car and spend 3 or 4 days driving around. You'll be astounded.

R..

Back
Top Bottom