Playa Del Carmen area-Best Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdklein

Contributor
Reaction score
Of these sites, grouped together for 2-tank dives (which is how Dressel Divers at Iberostar Paraiso does them-will be there in 1 week), which are the best, in your opinion, and why?

Cabezos and Tortugas
Cerebros and Green Wall
Baracuda and Mama Vina Wreck

How are these sites?

I can let you know my opinion in 2 weeks. We leave for Playa Dec. 2 and I'll post when we return. When are you diving there?

I can let you know my opinion in 2 weeks. We leave for Playa Dec. 2 and I'll post when we return. When are you diving there?

Thanks for the offer, but I'll be there basically the same time as you (arriving Dec 1st). Have fun.

PM PlayaCountryBoy, or just wait for him to show up in this thread.

Of these sites, grouped together for 2-tank dives (which is how Dressel Divers at Iberostar Paraiso does them-will be there in 1 week), which are the best, in your opinion, and why?

Cabezos and Tortugas
Cerebros and Green Wall
Baracuda and Mama Vina Wreck

How are these sites?

You have some great choices there! Mama Vina is a 85f sunk small, dive boat/liveaboard. Its bow faces south and usually has a strong current hitting the bow. There are large school of barracuda and horse eyed jacks all around...as well as Atlantic spadefish. She lying in 95ft. This wreck is easy penetrable.

Tortugas is to see turtles and morays. It's a gentle slope starting in 50ft and sloping a long way to 120ft...then drops off!

Pared Verde (Green Wall) is one of three sections of a long beautiful wall system to the north. The top of the wall starts at 75ft. and drops down to a sandy bottom at 105ft. The wall is beautifull encrusted in many different hard and soft corals. With a viz averaging 100ft, the colors are very bright even at deeper depths.

All three of the other dives are great follow-up dives. The average depth is 30ft, and you can get over 60min BT if you SAC is good! Every dive is a great tme for photos! If you have a good camera, get familiar with it before you get down here so you can focus more on good positioning in the water and not all the buttons on the back of the housing. :wink:

Thanks for your insight. Can't wait to dive.

BDKLEIN,

I am staying at the same complex as you. Iberostar Grand arriving on December 6th and departing on December 16th.

I used Dressel divers last year while at the Maya and was frustrated when they ended dives because they needed to get back to the dock to run the next dive trip out. I had approx 1200 psi remaining and the DM thumbed the dive based on time. When I questioned her on the boat she looked at her watch and said “Oh, we are running early and we could have stayed longer”. Needless to say I am going to give Fantaseadive a try. My only frustrating issue with leaving the complex is transportation to their dive boat. I will try and utilize the free shuttle but don’t know if the timing will work out. Are you interested in diving outside of the complex?

Here is a url for my post from my last trip:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/mexico/171067-dive-report-dressel-divers-iberostar-pariso-maya.html

George

George,

Thanks for the information. Just for the sake of ease (only diver in my group), I'll stick to Dressel on site. But I have made note of your ideas/issues/suggestions. Enjoy your trip.

Hi,
this may be too late but whatever you choose they are all great dives. My favourite was the wreck, Mama Vina and Baracuda. Combined they make for two very different and exciting dives! Hope you had a great time!

It is too late, but I'll put my 2 cents in for Barracuda and Tortugas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom