plavix question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lakesdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this on an older thread, but got no response, so I guess it got lost due to age.

I had an angio w/stent 2 months ago. My cardio MD said go back to diving in two months (after I'd sailed through my stress test). The question is as follows: He has me on Plavix (the more expensive coumadin, I hear). DAN said NO, NO, NO diving with this, due to increased risk of type II dcs. But I read all the coumadin guys are diving just fine. Dr. Bove has articles saying ok, if not for deep vein thrombosis. Why the discrepancy? Who am I to listen to? Is plavix really that different from coumadin? My cardio MD is NOT a dive doc.

What say all of you?

Thanks in advance...

lakesdiver:
I posted this on an older thread, but got no response, so I guess it got lost due to age.

I had an angio w/stent 2 months ago. My cardio MD said go back to diving in two months (after I'd sailed through my stress test). The question is as follows: He has me on Plavix (the more expensive coumadin, I hear). DAN said NO, NO, NO diving with this, due to increased risk of type II dcs. But I read all the coumadin guys are diving just fine. Dr. Bove has articles saying ok, if not for deep vein thrombosis. Why the discrepancy? Who am I to listen to? Is plavix really that different from coumadin? My cardio MD is NOT a dive doc.

What say all of you?

Thanks in advance...

(Q) "Is Plavix really that different from coumadin?"

(A) Plavix (clopidogrel bisulfate) is rather different than Coumadin (warfarin sodium). Plavix causes platelets to resist physically sticking together or to areas within blood vessels, while Coumadin interferes with the chemical process that causes blood to thicken at an injury site.

Plavix is indicated for treating arterial clots found in stroke, heart attack & peripheral arterial disease, whereas Coumadin is indicated for treating venous clots such as those responsible for deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. Moreover, Plavix does not influence one's INR nor does it interact with vitamin K; Coumadin does both.

Both of these compounds can prolong bleeding from external (e.g., cutting one's arm on the boat) or internal (e.g., ear, lung and sinus damage as a result of changes in pressure related to depth and equalization techniques) injuries. However, Coumadin would seem to be much more worrisome than Plavix in this regard.

As for the apparent discrepancies among sources, this might be an appropriate question for DAN. You or your doctor can contact DAN by calling 919-684-2948 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm EST) or emailing http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/c...asp?RE=Medicine.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom