Plastic zip, BDM or tizip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I heard that Otter uses a plastic zip in suits too, that seems to be a BDM zip. No grease needed here. The tizip needs grease at the docking end.
Is the BDM zip better than the tizip? And same durable? No leaks?

I doubt whether there is much difference.

I suspect the reason why Otter use BDM is that they can buy the zips in smaller quantities than TZIPs

but no difference in durability between tizip and bdm zips? Same pressure difference possible before leaking?
But why now lubrication needed for BDM and it is needed for tizip?

"Show me a zipper that doesn't need lube, and I will show you a zipper that doesn't get used."

I have lubed every metal zipper I have used on a drysuit and I have installed a couple of TiZips so far.

Very Happy with my TZIP.
Maintenance is what we do with everything to prolong the life.
Look after it, and your efforts will be rewarded with a dry, warm dive.

Stevo

I asked about the difference of the BDM plastic zip and the tizip. Both made of plastic. Otter uses the BDM plastic zip is told to me and that needs no lubricating. Is that zip Otter uses better or as good as the tizip in durability? And what about leaking?

Back
Top Bottom