Plastic models, Oriskany vs. Essex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're a technical diver, going to the bottom while diving the Mighty O is well beyond recreational limits. The flight deck lies in between 130 and 140 feet of water. The superstructure rises up to about 80 feet or so. I have not dived the wreck yet so I don't know anything about the conditions. DA Aquamaster is right in that it is about 21 miles offshore. I've also heard through the grapevine it is tough to get on a charter on spur of the moment as they are usually booked about a year or so in advance but that wouldn't stop me from calling around to see if any local charters had a cancellation.

Check out the Divespots Oriskany Page for more information and GPS coordinates on the wreck.

Unless you're a technical diver, going to the bottom while diving the Mighty O is well beyond recreational limits. The flight deck lies in between 130 and 140 feet of water. The superstructure rises up to about 80 feet or so. I have not dived the wreck yet so I don't know anything about the conditions. DA Aquamaster is right in that it is about 21 miles offshore. I've also heard through the grapevine it is tough to get on a charter on spur of the moment as they are usually booked about a year or so in advance but that wouldn't stop me from calling around to see if any local charters had a cancellation.

Check out the Divespots Oriskany Page for more information and GPS coordinates on the wreck.

You are very right in the fact that going beyond the flight deck is a technical dive. It it 212 fsw to the sand. However it is not nearly as hard to find a charter to the Oriskany as you think. I did a trip on the Oriskany in March. I live in Houston Tx and decided on a Friday at 11am that I wanted to do the dive. I called up MBT divers and was on the charter H20 Below at 8am the next morning heading out to the Oriskany. Last week me and a couple friends decided to go again and booked a trip through pensecola dive company for this coming Saturday.

Here are some pics from my previous dive.

orisk_flag_400.jpg

orisk_indoor1_400.jpg

orisk_indoor2_400.jpg

orisk_indoor3_400.jpg

orisk_indoor4_400.jpg

orisk_indoor5_400.jpg

orisk_indoor6_400.jpg

orisk_indoor7_400.jpg

orisk_outdoor1_400.jpg

orisk_outdoor2_400.jpg

orisk_outdoor3_400.jpg

orisk_deco.jpg