Plastic models, Oriskany vs. Essex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lilla the model is out there what you will have to do is go to one or two of the Major Book Stores look thru both Fine Scale Modeler magazine or Sea Classic s Magazine and you should be able to find a web sight or a hobby store that sells nothing but Military Model Kit s. These are two of the best Magazines out there and should help you . I have used both Magazines on a project i was doing a few year s ago and found what i needed. Good Luck.

Thanks I'll check that out.:D

Lilla, sorry for the delay, but I found what I was looking for. It is in the Inovative Scuba catalog. www.inovativescuba.com. It's in the section with fish and coral ID slates. The renderings come in three sizes - the first is about the size of a fish ID card - it will fit in your logbook binder, the second and third are wall sized, 20"x20" and 20'x30", and for my budget, they are a bit pricey. But take a look. I hope it helps.

heres a link to a few videos of the USS Oriskany... theres videos of the sinking, and also the Navy's EOD doing the first dive on it, and also an 18 minute video of a complete scooter tour of the ship, from the island that is around 70ft, all the way to the bottom (around 220ft).

Oriskany video, diving and sinking

Some great planners are the Art to Media Dive Maps. They are detailed artist renderings of the Oriskany There are two, one showing just the superstructure and the other showing the whole ship.

Here is a link to the USS Oriskany model page by Master Builder Mike Czibovic. Of course, this model is the original deck plans prior to being modernized. The contact info for purchasing the (completed model) is Joel Rosen at 1-800-866-3172 from 10 AM to 5:30 PM weekdays or by email at joel@motionmodels.com. Please note that most master model builders will use a generic class model then customize it to the specific piece they are working on so it might not have come from a USS Oriskany kit. I hope this helps.

While this isn't a model, you might check out the cool new wreck diagrams you can get for the Oriskany dive.

from Innovative Scuba Dive Map Cards

IS-LB-11xx-3.jpg

IS-LB-11xx-4.jpg

IS-LB-11xx-5.jpg

IS-LB-11xx-6.jpg

Those are pretty cool - I may well order them. Thanks to all for your help!

ive wanted to dive this wreck since it was sunk... and where i live isnt but about 2.5 hrs from pensacola, and i believe its about 7 miles offshore? i want to wait til i have more training, because i want to be able to go to the bottom safely, but i definetly want to dive this one soon

I am thinking it is more like 21 miles offshore.

Back
Top Bottom