Planning trip to NE in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Day,

I am trying to organize a trip for a small group (probably 8-12) this June. We wanted to get together somewhere in New England and spend a week or so diving together. Problem is we don't have a lot of folks in the area to advise us on the opportunities there.

We want to explore a diverse series of dive sites. "Reefs and Wrecks" as a friend would say. We are rec divers for the most part so nothing too extreme. Something we can do comfortably on a single tank.

Any good shore dive opportunities?

Can anyone recommend a boat charter outfit?

What would you suggest for accommodation? Would be nice if we could stay together or at least gather as a group.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers.

NJ and the NE will be almost tropical compared to Canada. But, not by much. Water temps at depth in June will still be in the 40's (100 feet). There are some shore dives available but low viz is the norm (10-15 feet when the conditions are right). Wreck diving is what we do here. Reef diving is only a dream. Food dives are very common!

To get a better hand on what is happening go to:

www.wreckvalley.com

This is a group of divers who do this for fun. The information will come fast and furious.

You might want to ask in the New England forum instead of the Wreck Valley forum.

We offer overnight and day trips to Block Island, R.I. Wreck, pinnacle and shark diving.
There's lots of GREAT stuff in the recreational range and a beautiful place to visit!
Be safe, Capt. Chuck Wade. www.seaturtlecharters.com

Be aware that if you pick NJ, most charters insist that you have either a pony bottle or doubles. New Jersey has some great wrecks with good viz. We had 30-40ft on many dives this summer. :wink:

Per the previous post.......I dive at least twice a week in Jersey and I would say 30-40 ft viz would be an exception and ceratinly not the rule. There are good days and not so good days, but typical Jersey diving is poor viz conditions.
Belmar is located approx middle of the state in NJ and affords some of the best diving that NJ has to offer, within a couple hours max. I'm kinda partial to the Stingray (I mate on her) she's a great dive boat (see my post on the AC forum here in Wreck Valley) There is a hotel located right acroos the street from the marina, with enough notice you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever getting accomodations for your group. They are priced reasonably but depending on what time of year you are there it may be higher during high season which is the summer months. Belmar is a nice little town with many eateries and other things to do to occupy your evenings.
Most, if not all dive boats in NJ do in fact require redundant air source, either doubles or a pony bottle (which can be rented right across the street also) other standard equipment would be a good dive light, a knife (lots of fishing line around), and a wreck reel are strongly recommended (for the low viz conditions)
Hope this helps and hope you get to try some NJ diving!

DIVE SAFE/ DIVE OFTEN

Thank you everyone. I had a hard time deciding, but it looks like we will go with Cape Ann Divers for 25-28 June. I was talking to them yesterday and we came up with a tentative schedule. We can have up to 24 divers on that trip which will be nice to get to meet a lot of folks.

Appreciate all the comments...! :D

MSilvia:
You might want to ask in the New England forum instead of the Wreck Valley forum.

Yeah, I agree.

Huge dif. in the conditions between here and say Cape Ann. Map Quest Gloucester Mass. That said, I would go to Cape Ann if I were you. Excellent conditions, wrecks, and TONS of shore diving. Go to www.bluespherepubs.com for some great info on New England diving. Jerry Shine's book is a MUST own for shore diving New England. We try to hit Cape Ann atleast once a year. I love it there!!! From there you can hit a few other great shore dives as well and maybe even charter a boat for some seal dives and of course wreck dives. www.capeanndivers.com is another one for you. Have fun!

shadragon:
Thank you everyone. I had a hard time deciding, but it looks like we will go with Cape Ann Divers for 25-28 June. I was talking to them yesterday and we came up with a tentative schedule. We can have up to 24 divers on that trip which will be nice to get to meet a lot of folks.

Appreciate all the comments...! :D
You can dive in down town Boston with my friends Capt Pat And Capt Jim at: www.bostonharbordiving.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom