Planning Trip to Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe a dive flag is required, yet in 150 dives over 10 years I can't recall ever seeing someone use a flag, aside from freediving spearfishermen. No doubt some do however. I seem to recall hearing from a local that Crescent Beach at the mouth of the harbor and Kailua Bay were likely places to be busted for not having one - lots of boat traffic in both places, unlike most other sites. It's rumored that the freediver who died last April just south of Kailua Bay was hit by a boat, they do run up and down close to shore along that stretch. On the other hand, he had a float from what I recall reading

After the earthquake a couple of years ago, a temporary restriction on beaching kayaks was in place at Kealekekua monument, so we put a weight on a mid-water drop line from our kayak to grab it to tow here and there while diving. It strayed close to the (temporary?) closed zone close to the cliffs and the gendarmes who were regularly on site for that period motored up to warn us away, but didn't say anything about using a dive flag at that time.

I carry a sausage - though not common at most places in my experience, there can be currents at some sites - and a noisemaker and light (good for the many holes and caves too). A knife is good for the possibility of encountering heavy fishing line. Many if not most sites are lava/rock entry so I highly recommend gloves, booties, and a fullsuit, and for staying warm as well. I get cold long before 90 minutes in fall and spring conditions there, and last March I really wished I'd had a 5mm suit.

Just got back from a great December trip and am counting the days until April...

Thanks,

I plan on taking a 6 ' safety sausage, reel, whistle, flashlight, knife, and of course a compass... was debating on whether or not I should bring an inflatable dive flag or not

For shore diving, to be legal in Hawaii, there must be a 1' x 1' dive flag floating and surfacing more than 100' from that flag is not allowed except in emergencies. I have seen no inflatable flags that comply.

For Maui and Oahu shore dive sites, you will see divers using flags daily at nearly every decent shore dive location.

Thanks,

I plan on taking a 6 ' safety sausage, reel, whistle, flashlight, knife, and of course a compass... was debating on whether or not I should bring an inflatable dive flag or not
I'd say it seems like a good idea. We bought an inflatable there in Maui a few years ago and used it some before deciding it was a minority practice and not much of use in our diving. Things may have changed and there may be sites where it's more prudent. I haven't measured the flag, but if it's not 1' square, it's close. I'll be taking it again in April in case of need.

Back
Top Bottom