Planning to buy first drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's where I am as well, ludwigsv. The 30/30 is available, the price is attractive, and I'll try it on keeping in mind the lack of a telescoping torso (thanks for that tip, BeaverDivers). I also think that this may not be my only drysuit purchase, particularly if I find myself diving in temperate waters more often. For now, I just want to stay warm in caves and in cooler water in Indonesia. One important consideration for me is making sure the drysuit doesn't become a sail in high-flow caves or high-current dive sites, so I'm really looking for something not terribly baggy anyway. We'll see.

Good luck to you ludwigsv and ergo46 in your first purchase, and I hope I have good luck, too!

I am not trying to highjack or sell anything but I know TreyR on here as we have a lot of dives together and he has a Hollis Biodry that is a steal (a total different material). He lost some weight and it simply does not fit him any more. Pee valve already installed. As for drysuits, first one was a Bear Supra 7 mil and I loved it except for the back zipper (it got to the point that even Steve Gamble would not repair it), I got a DUI TSL 350 and it is a fun suit to dive but with a trilam you still need to buy (not cheap either) undergarments and the bubble shift and air trapping is there. (You don't really get this with Neoprene due to the elastic properties of neoprene which I really like in the caves where you are always going up and down up and down...they are also almost self venting as well as the most durable and usually cost less). I also have an O'Neill neoprene and love diving this one. Even if not a neoprene you deserve it to yourself to check out the O'Neill line and their prices. I tried a Fusion but found it was a pain to get in and out of but it does get easier with time. I hope that this helps.

Check whites website.
New sale on the Fusion-one $1K with goodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a Hollis FX100 Biodry. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There's a LOT of good about it. It's like a trilam, but stretchier....so it's a lot more forgiving about diving with less air in it. It's not neoprene, so it can be dived in warmer conditions...it's also not very positive.

However, Gamble doesn't speak super highly about its durability. Also, the material has started pilling pretty badly, making it look like it's in rougher shape than it is. It has started leaking through the exhaust valve when it takes a beating (cave class, lights out drills through tight areas)...and I'm not convinced it's completely dry all of the time. They're nice-brand valves (SiTek)....so I might just have a lemon. I'm debating selling it and buying a Fusion....and have been for almost a year. I still own it, and think I will until it dies. I just don't know if I'll buy another one when it dies.

Whites Fusion suits are AMAZING! right now there are a bunch of deals on the Whites websites. Suit with goodies for $999 or buy a fusion tech or bullet and get $500 of accessories free! Most comfortable suit on the market IMO! Check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neoprene dry suits have a couple of drawbacks, though -- if you were to want to dive dry in warmer water, you can't make them cooler, and they come with neoprene seals, which are difficult to put dry gloves on. (To my knowledge, the only dry glove system that is mountable on neoprene wrist seals is the Diving Concepts on, and they are out of business.)

This is not true. I have a Bare dry suit with latex wrist seals and a neoprene neck seal. A lot people I dive with up here have neoprene dry suits with the same seals

Back
Top Bottom