Planning to buy first drysuit!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ergo46

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I started diving a few months ago; I currently dive up in the North Eastern USA and to the upwards of 50 dives. I rented a Dry-suit from my LDS witch was a CLX-450 used it in the pool for a while and I am now in love. I want to buy my first drysuit. Do you guys have any recommendations on dry-suits under $2000?

Last edited:
Look at the fusion. The fusion one I do not think you will be able to replace your own seal if you break one on a dive. I thought it was a shop only change

Re seals...
Both stock Fusion and Fusion-one have standard factory seals.
But..the Fusion can have sitech replaceable seals.
Also the Fusion is front zip, whole the Fusion-one is rear.

I have a Fusion-one. I love it. They are often on sale for $1,000 with underwear.
But... I'd prefer the Fusion if money wasn't an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

See if you can try out the different types of drysuits... different strokes for different folks.

Try a neoprene drysuit. Warmer, more form fitting, but less room underneath for undergarments.

Try a different trilaminate drysuit as well. The CLX is a top of the line suit, but you might find something cheaper that you're happy with.

And then try the White's Fusion... I was torn between the Fusion and a ScubaPro EverTec trilaminate, and opted for the latter, simply because I was able to get it for a great price. I truly like both of those models a lot.

If you fit in a stock size, the Everydry is a good buy -- often available at $999 with undergarment. Neoprene dry suits have a couple of drawbacks, though -- if you were to want to dive dry in warmer water, you can't make them cooler, and they come with neoprene seals, which are difficult to put dry gloves on. (To my knowledge, the only dry glove system that is mountable on neoprene wrist seals is the Diving Concepts on, and they are out of business.)

The Fusion is a very good buy, ranging from $1000 for the back zip version to $1499 for the front zip (I believe that includes the SiTech user-replaceable seal system). Those suits are very durable and hard to damage, and they fit a wide range of body shapes and sizes without having to go custom.

You might look around for used suits, too. A little-used suit that needs seals can be a very good bargain, because even paying someone to put the seals in can end up with a lower price than a new suit.

I'm about to become a first-time drysuit buyer as well. I've been thinking I want the Bare SB system, but it's not easily available here in Asia (as a matter of fact, not many drysuits are easily available), and I've got a good price offer on a DUI 30/30 that I'm thinking seriously about. It's a hard thing to decide, but because drysuits are so very expensive, it seems that divers often get what they can live with (and what they can find), because of price considerations, rather than what they'd really prefer to have if cost weren't such a big issue.

I've got a good price offer on a DUI 30/30 that I'm thinking seriously about.
I have around 25 dives on my 30/30. It is a nice suit for the tropics. However, it does not have a telescoping torso. I find it hard to get in & out of due to this fact. DUI makes an excellent suit. Their TLS350 does have a telescoping torso. I prefer it over their 30/30 even for the tropics, FWIW.

I'm on the same boat, too. In the morning I'll be purchasing the Mares trilaminate that I took my workshop in. My criteria for the first purchase were construction/durability, fit, and cost. Since it is my first suit as well (and affordable options that are not mail-order are limited), I chose those criteria understanding that I will probably discover different features and criteria down the road after gaining some experience. Such is life. I would approach this purchase with the expectation that your first drysuit is probably not going to be your last. Normally I'm a "buy it once, buy it right" type of guy, but in this case I'm a "buy something that fits, doesn't leak, and you can afford" kind of guy.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom