Planning our first trip for next month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@riceowls I see you're from Houston. Any idea what's up with the American Airlines direct flight IAH - RTB? We originally booked our "usual" flight through IAH and after a number of changes are now routed through MIA instead. It seems that they've limited the direct Houston - Roatan flights? I'm guessing it's because they weren't filling 737s and are using the Embrear 175 out of miami because it's smaller? Weird thing is that there appeared to be direct flights on thursdays but not the weekend when I'd think there would be more passengers... Anyway, I'm just hoping to not have more cancellations and attendant flight changes. Worst case would be if they add back the IAH - RTB flights and we are stuck going to MIA! Cheers
IAH<->RTB is on united 1 flight daily and 2 flights Saturday. AA goes via Dallas. AA and UA may code-share these with United operating but given these are different alliances, I highly doubt it.

The Seagrape dive shop is pretty under rated in my opinion. Well run, great boats, and native born DM's who are great at finding critters. They will do their best to accommodate any requests; we almost always get to do the dives we love. They don't have the name recognition of Coconut Tree (and no tec either, for that I think there's only coconut tree) or West End Divers, but equally good diving and no schlepping gear across the road. If you end up staying at LE I'd at least give tSeagrape a try, you can always walk elsewhere if you don't like them.
Thanks for the info. I am now exactly between Seagrape and Coconut Tree Divers for our dives. My only question about seagrape is - given that they return to shore between the first two morning dives - does it limit the range of sites that they go to. Coconut Tree do 2-tank dives and I assume can go further.

IAH<->RTB is on united 1 flight daily and 2 flights Saturday. AA goes via Dallas. AA and UA may code-share these with United operating but given these are different alliances, I highly doubt it.
oops, I was dizzy from looking at flight options,. I meant to ask whats up with DFW > RTB?

Thanks for the info. I am now exactly between Seagrape and Coconut Tree Divers for our dives. My only question about seagrape is - given that they return to shore between the first two morning dives - does it limit the range of sites that they go to. Coconut Tree do 2-tank dives and I assume can go further.
My first impulse is to say no, it won't effect the range. But thinking it through it probably does when compared with 2 tank trips. Going up to the Odyssey is about the max we've gone East with SG and obviously it would be more economical to go further east once you're there. It's not "normal" for them but if you asked, they'd probably book a 2 tank day and stay up island as long as all divers agreed to it. When the place is full I'm sure the shop would set this up. The cool thing about SG is that they'll bend over backwards to accommodate guests, so in order to meet your request they might do a second boat even if theres only enough divers for one. They do that for us sometimes or will send a second DM to dive a more advanced profile off the same boat. It's a constant balance for them the expense of additional resources vs. keeping guests happy. At least for us it usually seems they will do what it takes, you just have to communicate your wishes. I'd suggest diving a day with them, let them get to know you, then have a chat about your wished for your time there. I hope you have a good time!

oops, I was dizzy from looking at flight options,. I meant to ask whats up with DFW > RTB?
My American Airlines flight DFW > RTB on Sunday, April 24 was was switched to MIA > RTB. It appears American dropped their Sunday flight from DFW.

Screw DFW/American. Go with United via IAH! if you have united miles - a very good deal on using these.

Planning a diving trip next month possibly in connection with my wife's b-day and (after doing Cozumel last 3 times) thinking of doing Roatan . The plan is to do 8 nights - Sat-Sunday (or possibly 9 to Monday if Presidents day - week TBD). Here are my current thoughts:
1) Interested in combining South shore dives with a possibility of shore diving and seeing the town, trying local restaurants in West Bay, and of course doing Northside reefs as well.
2) We would perhaps do ~15-17 dives.
3) Don't want to overspend (better safe for another trip)

Here is a current draft plan:
4 nights in Reef House.
1 night dive on the arrival day (if all on-time)
2-3 dives a day for days 2-4
Transit to the west bay on day 5. Possibly afternoon dive there or a rest day
Stay West Bay or West End (TBD)
2 dives a day on days 6-8
Flyback on day 9(sun, the flight is late enough to have 24hr after the last dive)

Looking for feedback on the plan. Am I making a mistake by trying to see both sides of the island? West Bay or West End? West Bay or West End operators suggestions? What is the cost of taxi from the airport to Reef House, from Reef House to West Bay and from West Bay to the airport? Or should I arrange the transfer via the hotels? Buying alcohol (beer, bottle of rum) - duty free on arrival? Or some local store on the way from the airport? Favorite local joints and street food vendors?
I also highly recommend seagrapes dive package. Works out to be super cheap, includes breakfast, lunch, airport transfer. They will stop at eldons on the way from the airport and you can stock up on beer, rum, soda and mixers to keep costs down. Rooms comfortable. Family is terrific. DMs are experienced, and consistently spot nudibanchs, seahorses, saw scorpionfish and toadfish last time in Jan. Going back Mar 30 solo. As a woman, I have never felt unsafe walking into west end to see the daybreak. Always gardeners up at the Crack of dawn keeping the place tidy. They bend over backwards to accommodate your every request. When you count the cost of lodging, meals and transfer you basically dive free. All gear can be kept at the dive shop so no lugging it back and forth, and all rental gear is included in the dive packages.

I also highly recommend seagrapes dive package. Works out to be super cheap, includes breakfast, lunch, airport transfer. They will stop at eldons on the way from the airport and you can stock up on beer, rum, soda and mixers to keep costs down. Rooms comfortable. Family is terrific. DMs are experienced, and consistently spot nudibanchs, seahorses, saw scorpionfish and toadfish last time in Jan. Going back Mar 30 solo. As a woman, I have never felt unsafe walking into west end to see the daybreak. Always gardeners up at the Crack of dawn keeping the place tidy. They bend over backwards to accommodate your every request. When you count the cost of lodging, meals and transfer you basically dive free. All gear can be kept at the dive shop so no lugging it back and forth, and all rental gear is included in the dive packages.

So how does their setup work? Is it two dive in the AM? Do they run afternoon trips you can add more dives? Do you walk into town every evening for dinner or is there taxis?

So how does their setup work? Is it two dive in the AM? Do they run afternoon trips you can add more dives? Do you walk into town every evening for dinner or is there taxis?
Yup, to am; 9 and 11 I think? Then an afternoon, 1pm? They usually put a night dive on the board for one night a week and go if they get enough interest. You can also schedule a south side trip (Mary's Place plus another) or other two tank trip but it will cost more and there as to be a minimum number of divers to make it pay (six I believe). If it's your first visit the DM's will watch you for a dive or two to make sure you're competent before letting you "off leash", allowing you to splash first and hang out near the mooring waiting for the rest of the divers to get in the water. If there's newish divers they always split the group and allow longer/deeper dives for those who can handle it. They'll do most anything to keep you happy.

As far as getting into town for lunch/dinner it's about a 10-15 min walk to center of West End. For us that's one of the nice things; it's nice and quiet but you can quickly be right in the heart of the action. You could ask for a taxi at the office, Mariella would take care of that easily. I'd imagine you could schedule one for a daily pick up. With the restaurant on premises you don't even have to leave if you don't want to.

Their dive packages shows a 14-dive as the highest which would be 2x/day for 6 days plus night dive. We typically log 20 at AKR. Adding extra dives is fine except for the constant uncertainty if the trip will actually make.

A 10-15 minute walk is not bad, if the weather is nice and everyone is in good health and no one has a blister on their foot. I wouldn't want to go without dinner because it was raining hard. And I have seen some torrential rain in Roatan. The website says "Restaurant Hours are 7:00 am - 2:00 pm".

Back
Top Bottom