Planning on going to Ramon's @ the end of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andreau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My group is planning a trip to Ramon's at the end of May strictly for diving.

Has anyone been there in the last couple of months, since the remodel? how are the dive operations, rooms, food, etc...

Any must see dive sites, besides the BH?

We do plan on going to the BH with Ramon's.

Any advice is good advice and is much appreciated.

Not one of the better dive shops in my opinion. I dove with them the first trip I did there, then switched.

The Blue Hole is somewhat controversial on this Board, especially for relatively new divers. Rather than rehash it all here, I encourage you to look through the last few pages of threads and read the ones on the BH, then come back if you have any questions.

The Marine Reserve Hol Chan probably qualifies as a must see, but I haven't personally dived around AC so hopefully others will chime in on that subject.

The Blue Hole is somewhat controversial on this Board, especially for relatively new divers. Rather than rehash it all here, I encourage you to look through the last few pages of threads and read the ones on the BH, then come back if you have any questions.

The Marine Reserve Hol Chan probably qualifies as a must see, but I haven't personally dived around AC so hopefully others will chime in on that subject.

Yes I have read all the threads on the BH and understand all of the pros and cons of this dive. It is pretty much a must on this trip because two of my uncles are in the group and they have both been to AC four times and every time for one reason or another they couldn't make the BH trip. I am very comfortable going to 130-135' for this dive. I have at least 6-8 dives to 100'+ and am anal about watching my computer and have no problem thumbing the dive if I start to feel uncomfortable. My uncle will be my dive buddy on that dive and he has 600 or 700 dives many to "deeper depths".

I do appreciate the concern though, that's why I love this site there are many very experienced people on here that are not afraid to sugar coat the truth.

I personally like the Blue Hole dive. With appropriate experience and training, your largest risk is witnessing some tragedy. It is not just a deep dive, it is a deep dive 3hrs from port where there is not a USCG helo to pick up a patient/body. You also should probably look at the dive as a Rescue Diver course scenario. Just be on the lookout for panicked divers. Let the DMs do their job. They do this almost everyday. On a nice day, the scenery is stunning. The last two dives are really nice and worth the long ride in my opinion. Ramon's has a good reputation for running this trip.

I have to disagree with a previous poster. I dove with Ramon's and thought they did a very good job. While staying at Ramon's make sure to meet "Jack" in the Restaurant!

BH - I agree that the three hour boat ride is tough, but we had fun. The second and third dive (half moon caye wall, aquarium) were spectacular.

andreau, I'm assuming your trip is already booked and reserved and that perhaps you've even got a package rate on accommodations and dives. Go and enjoy yourselves. I believe you will have an amazing time!

If you had asked us before booking, I probably would have made different suggestions to you but they'd only have been my preferences.

You guys will really enjoy. I find San Pedro to be a special place and it may not be what you expect. Get over to Caye Caulker for an afternoon too, if you get the chance.

Looking forward to your trip report!

The trip to Ramon's has is on hold till January/February 2015. Instead we are headed to Anthony's Key.

Thanks for for all the help anyway.

Scubaboard you can remove this thread if you like.

Andreau! What happened?! Your originally planned trip to Belize was timed to be in what are normally very good seas and weather pattern. I'd switch Anthony's Key for Ramon's. The dates I mean. Ramon's in May and Anthony's next winter. Anyway, and either way you'll have a wonderful time. :)

Yes well I wish I could but my cousin can't go and my uncle, his father, says he is only going once more being he has been six times and has yet to do the BH. He is giving it one more chance and he wants his son there and I can understand that. AKR will be a blast I'm sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom