planning my dream liveaboard in Sep. 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shiva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been putting off this trip for a year and now I'm finally ready to do my first Indinesia liveaboard in September, 2010. I'll greatly aapreciate your answers to few questions

1) I'm choosing between Raja Ampat and Komodo, are there other destinations I should consider? I love macro but I'd also appreciate healthy coral and some occasional bigger staff. I won't consider N Sulawesi routes as I visit it for land-based diving quite often.

2) Is September a good season for Raja Ampat? What the weather and diving conditions would be like? What about Komodo in September? Other parts of Indonesia?

3) I have that impression that Komodo has fiercer currents that Raja Ampat? Is it correct? Would currents affect my diving in Komodo? If so, I'd probably prefer RA over Komodo as my buddy had only about 70-80 dives and would probably enjoy easier diving

4) I'm considering Peter Hughes boats for both destinations. Are there other boats I should consider? I'm fine with more expensive boats if they are worth the money.

And I have an idée fixe - the boat must be a sailing vessel, I have that obtrusive image of "white sails agains a background of blue skies" in my head :)

We did an excellent Bali-Komodo trip on Karuru's older boat, the Voyager. Very well outfitted for photography.

www.kararu.com

Can't go wrong with the PH boat. It really is a cut above the rest in terms of creature comforts. Didn't see much in the way of larger pelagics on the PH boat. Mantas on two dives and that was about it.

You could be disappointed re the sailing ship vision. The boat never uses its sails. They are for show and they don't always put them up even for just pics.

Komodo can have some strong currents as well as Raja Ampat which can make for great drift dives.

Personally, I would do Raja Ampat for its sheer number of fish species.

Agree about the sails on sail boats but you have to follow your dreams.....

Dunno about Komodo but I have been looking at a video of Rajo Amphat for yrs called reef of riches. It is on my bucket list. Hopefully Scott will chime in. He has extensive experience all over the world and considered Palau as his favorite for yrs, till he went to Raja.

1) I'm choosing between Raja Ampat and Komodo, are there other destinations I should consider? I love macro but I'd also appreciate healthy coral and some occasional bigger staff. I won't consider N Sulawesi routes as I visit it for land-based diving quite often.

>You could consider some Banda Sea routes - I hear good things about those.

2) Is September a good season for Raja Ampat? What the weather and diving conditions would be like? What about Komodo in September? Other parts of Indonesia?

>It is my understanding that September is a good time for most of the dive destinations in Eastern Indonesia. It should be a good time for both Raja Ampat and Komodo.

3) I have that impression that Komodo has fiercer currents that Raja Ampat? Is it correct? Would currents affect my diving in Komodo? If so, I'd probably prefer RA over Komodo as my buddy had only about 70-80 dives and would probably enjoy easier diving

>Raja Ampat has some fierce currents. The best dives involve strong currents that bring in nutrients which in turn attract fish. A good DM (and a suitably experienced group) will make sure you get to the point where the current is hitting the reef/wall - that's where the action is. You can expect to have to swim against a current for a short distance in order to position yourself in that right spot to enjoy the show. Before going to either Raja Ampat or Komodo, make sure that you are comfortable with that notion.

4) I'm considering Peter Hughes boats for both destinations. Are there other boats I should consider? I'm fine with more expensive boats if they are worth the money.

> based on my personal experience I can recommend the Shakti for Raja Ampat - not as luxurious as some of the other boats but one of the most experienced operators in Raja Ampat.

Both can offer this as well as Ambon/Banda Areas as well

Yes good for both locations

Not necessarily it all depends in both locations where you are diving

SEVEN SEAS / Archipelago / Pindito
And I have an idée fixe - the boat must be a sailing vessel, I have that obtrusive image of "white sails agains a background of blue skies" in my head :)
[/QUOTE]

LOL most will not have these up they will motor from site to site. You want white against a blue sky then you have a better chance at a resort substituting the white umbrellas as the sails.

also look at the Dive Damai liveaboard, they have a schedule and itinerary on their site which gives their routes. They dive all over Indo and its one of the newest and most luxurious boats here

Archipelago II is a great way to go but uh-oh, blue sails. Hmmm, maybe you could settle for blue sails against a white sky??
AA2.jpg

BTW--not to hijack (well, maybe a little) but just prior to a wonderful trip on AA2 in Raja Ampat last December we were in Tulamben, Bali at TWD. Dove all week w/ an Oz bloke named Kent who used to DM on Red Sea liveaboards doing photography. Kept mentioning how him and "Mike" had such a good time diving Tulamben many years ago. Finally asked him "Mike who?" Yep, Mr. Veitch it was you! Small ocean, eh? // ww

also look at the Dive Damai liveaboard, they have a schedule and itinerary on their site which gives their routes. They dive all over Indo and its one of the newest and most luxurious boats here
Have you been on this boat Mike - I am booked later this year over Christmas. Their schedule worked out better that any other boat for me so I thought I would try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom