Planning for Christmas 2021 Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minnesota Cricket

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
While there is no certainty, we are moving ahead with early planning for next Christmas. Our group will have two couples around 50, two younger couples in their twenties, and our17 year old son. Right now we are thinking about renting a house and doing a drive and dive package, but are open to other possibilities. Everyone will dive with experience ranging from newbies to dive master, although a couple people may only dive a couple of times. This will be the first trip to Bonaire for 3 of the couples.

On our previous trips we have stayed at either Divi or at Cap. Don's. All were great trips and if we do opt for a house we will miss the convenience of diving off the dock.

Anyway, throwing this out there looking for any and all suggestions, tips, etc. We usually go every Christmas and really missed our get-away this year. Can't wait to get back.

How long do you plan to be there, what do the people who don't dive much plan to do the rest of the time, and have you ever been to Curacao (a larger island with more topside offerings and sandy beaches)?

I love Bonaire. Just curious whether it's the best match for what you guys aim to do. It is a good match for 'shore diving only' agendas; there's shore diving in Curacao, but it doesn't seem as popular for 'only' shore diving trips (at least it seems to me most trip reports involve some boat diving, too).

Curacao Trip Research Notes
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019
My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire

Bonaire Sunset Villa may not have a dock, but it'll fit the bill for your group, and it's on cliff.

Thanks for the thoughts on Curacao, drrich. Diving is really the main drive for this trip and we are eager to share Bonaire with our friends.

Dusty, that is exactly what we are looking for however it does not seem to be available for the dates we are looking at...but I will be reaching out to make sure. Thank you for the suggestion!

Buddy Dive is popular. Harbor Village more upscale.

While there is no certainty, we are moving ahead with early planning for next Christmas. Our group will have two couples around 50, two younger couples in their twenties, and our17 year old son. Right now we are thinking about renting a house and doing a drive and dive package, but are open to other possibilities. Everyone will dive with experience ranging from newbies to dive master, although a couple people may only dive a couple of times. This will be the first trip to Bonaire for 3 of the couples.

On our previous trips we have stayed at either Divi or at Cap. Don's. All were great trips and if we do opt for a house we will miss the convenience of diving off the dock.

Anyway, throwing this out there looking for any and all suggestions, tips, etc. We usually go every Christmas and really missed our get-away this year. Can't wait to get back.

Hello, may I suggest to you Cozumel, part of the worlds second largest barrier reef. The diving is excellent! Many forms of sealife, corals and something for everyone. It is easy on the wallet too. We stay at Casa del Mar and dive with their resident dive shop Cozumel Marine World. It is not super fancy, but when you spend your time underwater who needs a spa? My wife and I loved it so much we went in January/February and then back October/November! The swim throughs, caves, and fantastic coral are sure to keep you entertained!

All were great trips and if we do opt for a house we will miss the convenience of diving off the dock.

If you buy a diving package from an op. with a dock, seems like you could still do that. Such as Dive Friends Bonaire, with their pier between Sand Dollar Condo.s and Den Laman, or Buddy Dive Resort with their pier system.

Thanks again for all the input. We are pretty set on Bonaire for this particular trip but always appreciate suggestions. As I thought may be the case, many of the rental properties that would normally be a good fit (Bonaire Sunset Villa would have been nearly ideal!) are already spoken for. I am now looking at resorts that have 2 or 3 bedroom units.

Some swear by Coz and it's very nice diving but it doesn't touch Bon. Look at Sand Dollar condos as was previously suggested. Best house reef and even has a (small) beach.

There are many accommodation options for 2 or 3 bedroom units right on the water that have direct shore entry for dives other than just the resorts. It is easy enough to rent a vehicle and set up a tank and weight package and you are set.

A search in all the usual sites like Air BnB and Homeaway have lots of choices, but searching on the sites of local agents like Island Time rentals or Sunbelt realty have more properties, frequently better priced. We have used these and were very satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom