Planning a trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crazytaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and would like to take a trip somewhere. For example the bahamas, cayman islands or etc.... Where would the best place to go for warm water. i don't have a dive buddy so where could i go that would i could have a dive buddy. all info helps:D

That's a pretty broad question. I'd recommend a 7-day liveaboard trip in Australia. Would be awesome!! But unless you've got $5000+ to spend, such a trip isn't going to happen for you.

You should at least indicate an estimated budget for the trip, type of diving you want to do, etc.

Id say for a beginnig diver Maui would be awesome. Molokini crater has almost no current or surge at all inside the crater and there are tons of beginner level areas that are available. Also most all tours in Hawaii with some exceptions usually are guided as well.

I am up for any type of dive except dive with sharks. i do have 5000 but that is alot to spent at once. i do have my own dive gear. the most part is that want to find a dive buddy

I am up for any type of dive except dive with sharks. i do have 5000 but that is alot to spent at once. i do have my own dive gear. the most part is that want to find a dive buddy
Hey, sharks make good dive buddies!! I'd be more worried about jellyfish and fire coral than sharks :)

Dude - if you can swing the Mike Ball 7-day out of Australia, I can promise you, you will not be sorry you spent the money. It is absolutely awesome.

I wouldn't worry about finding a buddy. You will be paired up if you need one. Being paired up with a stranger on a boat really isn't any different from pairing up with a stranger over the internet :) Also, if you go someplace that requires DM guides, such as Cozumel, or places that seem to typically have group dives, such as Hawaii or Egypt, the dive buddy seems to matter a lot less than it would otherwise. I'd focus more on a destination than finding a buddy. Once you've got the destination - only then would I worry about finding a buddy, if I worried about it at all.

Now - that said - if you want to cover my expenses, I'll be happy to be your buddy, and will go anywhere you want to go :)

Humm... interesting question... as a new diver, I would suggest that you start closer to home..because you need to learn what you like and don't like about diving, before spending a lot of money to find out. The keys, for example or maybe the Dry tortugas. You will find there are little fish lovers... shark lovers... any big animal lovers...and also people that don't like each of those (and lots of other groups).

That way, when you do make that big trip, you will know what you like and what you want.

i do have 5000 but that is alot to spent at once.

Okay then, how much did you want to spend at once?

That information is a critical part of the answer. Help us out here a little.

My first dive trip was to Grand Cayman, this past August, water was mid-80's vis was unlimited, it's not super cheap, but if you pick the right place to stay it can be OK. We stayed at the Harbour View Apartments, for US$89 per night, and the room had a stove, microwave, fridge, and grills outside, so we saved a bunch by cooking a lot of our own meals.
For your diving, recommend Off The Wall, great outfit.

I'd say check out Cozumel. Great diving at a very reasonable cost, especially vs. the Caymans which could cost twice as much for diving that I don't think is as nice. Starting form Texas, Cozumel also has the advantage of being close, with decent airfares.

No buddy isn't a problem in Coz. since they get lots of divers travelling solo & as a new diver you'll generally be paired with a willing experienced diver or the divemaster. And since there there's such a selection in lodging you won't be shelling out big dough, staying solo in a hotel.

I'd suggest that being a newbie, you stay in town and dive with Aqua Safari, or Blue XTsea, both of which have great reputations, and can provide diving suited to your skill and experience.

There are lots of other operators in Coz. so you might want to check out the Cozumel forum here, or if you're interested but have specific questions feel free to PM me.

BTW- I've dived all over the Carribean, but remain partial to Coz. because it's close and inexpensive so I can afford to dive there a lot.

Last edited:
Australia and other exotic (from the US) trips are great but for your first trip it makes sense to go to one of the mainstream and relatively easy to get to dive destinations with lots of divers in the Caribbean. Get immersed in diving, get practice, and get an idea of what you like. Places such as Bonaire, Curacao, Cozumel, Cayman, Belize, Turks&Caicos, Bay Islands.

Do you think you are more interested in boat or shore diving? Some people like shore diving because of the cost savings, lack of schedule, or because they get seasick on boats. It may be harder to get buddies when shore diving, unless you get lucky and hook up with other lone dive travelers. Some people prefer boat diving, finding it easier to just hop on a boat and be taken to various sites instead of carting gear all over the place. Finding a buddy may be easier on a boat, and there will usually be the option of diving with the divemaster. Some places have lots of shore diving and some have none, and everything in between.

Instabuddies can be a problem sometimes. Another thing you can do is look for organized trips. These might be run by dive shops (local or not), photographers, magazines, or just like minded groups of people such as singledivers.com. Some trips will be advertised on this board. Often there will be other buddy-less divers on these trips so you have an opportunity to pair up with someone compatible and stick with them for the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom