Planning a trip to FL to move

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lauderdale By The Sea and BHB are nice shore dives. PM me and I will meet you for a BHB dive. I go there allot because it's close and well cheaper than a Dive Boat.

While in WPB, stop in at Diver's Direct on Northlake Blvd and I-95 along with Force-E on Blue Heron Blvd just west of the Blue Heron Bridge. Both have a lot of inventory and the folks at Force-E know everything there is to know about Blue Heron Bridge diving.

If weather permits, on your drive to Miami, you might want to stop at Lauderdale by the Sea: its a nice beach dive. Here's some information: www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml

I like diving with Jupiter Dive Center: if you want to see palegics, its a good place to dive (turtles, sharks, big morays, goliath grouper, etc.)

Hopefully you'll not be too disappointed in what you find about the schools. I don't know anything about VA schools, but I suspect they are significantly better than FL schools. My daughter is in college now, but when we moved here, we sent her to a private high school. Even at the private high school, the curriculum was about a year behind her Michigan schooling. Made for a pretty easy Freshman year from an academic standpoint.

I live close to Jupiter (just north of WPB) and the public schools seem to have decent reputations compared to many of the other districts: I just don't know how they'll compare to VA.

One of the nice things about FL is there is no state income tax and property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to other places I've lived. The downside is that the schools are likely underfunded compared to many other areas of the country too. I have several friends who are teachers and they are paid less than their counterparts elsewhere. I'm not trying to start a thread on schools or school funding, but I think that for all of Florida's positives, there are a few casualites on the side of the road too.

While in WPB, stop in at Diver's Direct on Northlake Blvd and I-95 along with Force-E on Blue Heron Blvd just west of the Blue Heron Bridge. Both have a lot of inventory and the folks at Force-E know everything there is to know about Blue Heron Bridge diving.

If weather permits, on your drive to Miami, you might want to stop at Lauderdale by the Sea: its a nice beach dive. Here's some information: www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml

I like diving with Jupiter Dive Center: if you want to see palegics, its a good place to dive (turtles, sharks, big morays, goliath grouper, etc.)

Hopefully you'll not be too disappointed in what you find about the schools. I don't know anything about VA schools, but I suspect they are significantly better than FL schools. My daughter is in college now, but when we moved here, we sent her to a private high school. Even at the private high school, the curriculum was about a year behind her Michigan schooling. Made for a pretty easy Freshman year from an academic standpoint.

I live close to Jupiter (just north of WPB) and the public schools seem to have decent reputations compared to many of the other districts: I just don't know how they'll compare to VA.

One of the nice things about FL is there is no state income tax and property taxes are pretty reasonable compared to other places I've lived. The downside is that the schools are likely underfunded compared to many other areas of the country too. I have several friends who are teachers and they are paid less than their counterparts elsewhere. I'm not trying to start a thread on schools or school funding, but I think that for all of Florida's positives, there are a few casualites on the side of the road too.

There are goods and bads to where everyone moves. She will be going into 9th grade here in Va and the high schools is not usable since the earth quake last Aug. Chemistry is just writing out your labs now, since they cannot use any open flames in the trailers. The current high school is almost 100 trailers connected together to form a school. Into little pod units, kind of sad.

---------- Post Merged at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:58 AM ----------

I have done 19 years of hard time in Palm Beach County Schools as both a teacher and now a school counselor. I can tell you anything you need to know about schools here. Force E will serve you well for the BHB and is located a stone's throw from the shop. They are great people. If you want some adventure, come dive Jupiter. Both Jupiter Dive Center and Scuba Works are great shops. I happen to divemaster on Blue Tang through Scuba Works. If you want to dive, just let me know and we can talk schools, etc on the surface interval.

Just a couple of quick questions about the schools, I have heard that just because you live within a school, does not mean that is the school your child will go to?? How true is that?

Just a couple of quick questions about the schools, I have heard that just because you live within a school, does not mean that is the school your child will go to?? How true is that?[/QUOTE]Generally, you attend the school you are zoned to by geographic boundary. Best to check because boundaries aren't straight lines and attempt to mix up demographics where reasonable. Exceptions: federal law mandates busing of students (parent choice)in failing schools to better schools (NCLB). However Florida was granted a waiver to stop this mandate. Students with disabilities can attend another public or private school with McKay Scholarship. School Choice: apply and be accepted to special program ie. arts, IB, career academy. There is no more busing for the sole reason of integrating schools. If you reside within good school boundaries your kids will go to that school. Palmbeachschools.orgClick on parentsScroll down to Find My School

I know this is very off topic, but would like to know any info for the Broward Schools. We are looking at Cooper City HS, Cypress Bay HS and Fort Lauderdale HS. Any insight into these schools?? We are looking at Fort Lauderdale very hard, as it is so close to the water. I had heard some areas in Fort Lauderdale can be rough and I do not want to put her in a rough school or neighborhood. A few things that are important to us is the use of our bikes, but would love to ride to the beach. Would love to learn to surf. Feel free to PM me with any insight into these areas. When we come down we will have those few days to lock into a rental, as husband and daughter will be moving down there in mid Aug.

Thanks again,
Desi

Do you have to be on the SE coast? If not, you might consider the west florida area..
As for schools.. my kids went to school in Citrus County.. might see how they rate. I know back in 2003 when my son graduated they were rated #1 in the state. Lots of water activities in CRiver, rural an hour north of the tampa bay.. OR St. Pete.. Cannot reccomend the area more.. pretty much the same weather as SE fla, less crime, less city..

I know this is very off topic, but would like to know any info for the Broward Schools. We are looking at Cooper City HS, Cypress Bay HS and Fort Lauderdale HS. Any insight into these schools?? We are looking at Fort Lauderdale very hard, as it is so close to the water. I had heard some areas in Fort Lauderdale can be rough and I do not want to put her in a rough school or neighborhood. A few things that are important to us is the use of our bikes, but would love to ride to the beach. Would love to learn to surf. Feel free to PM me with any insight into these areas. When we come down we will have those few days to lock into a rental, as husband and daughter will be moving down there in mid Aug.

Thanks again,
Desi

Was just informed that tides fall in the middle of the day next week for BHB. Which means most people will be at work. Will Force E have a DM to rent for the afternoon??

As for Lauderdale by the sea, who would I talk to about that dive. I will check with Fill Express, but do they have DM's? Or does anyone know of someone that would like to buddy up for that dive??

Desi

Hi, I live in boynton beach not sure if you know where that is. It's about 20 mins south of bhb. But I was looking for some possible buddies to dive Thursday and friday with. I've done bhb a couple times and lauderdale by the sea once so I'm not that familiar with it but I have done it. Get back to me if your interested. Email me at scottyboy561@yahoo.com or text me 561-523-2778 don't call cause my phone is messed up. But yeah let me know

Was just informed that tides fall in the middle of the day next week for BHB. Which means most people will be at work. Will Force E have a DM to rent for the afternoon??

As for Lauderdale by the sea, who would I talk to about that dive. I will check with Fill Express, but do they have DM's? Or does anyone know of someone that would like to buddy up for that dive??

Desi

Gold Coast Scuba in LBTS has a lot of shop sponsored Beach Dives at LBTS. The club is very active and I am sure that members would be happy to show you around the LBTS dive site. Check out their Meetup group or call the shop.

I don't know Force-E's policies, but I am pretty sure you can hire a DM for a tour of BHB but you'll probably need to give them a couple of days notice.

Was just informed that tides fall in the middle of the day next week for BHB. Which means most people will be at work. Will Force E have a DM to rent for the afternoon?

Desi

Hi,

There will likely be a number of the regulars there thru the week as they go purposely during the week to avoid the crowds. Arrive a couple of hours or more before high tide and ask around............Force E has folks available but should be arranged ahead of time. Pura Vida Dive Shop on Singer Island might be able to help as well. It may be even closer to the bridge but east behind the Chevron gas station. We will probably dive BHB on Monday or Tuesday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom