Planning a trip to either Cozumel or Belize, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to Either Cozumel or Belize this summer. Has anyone gone to both? Which is better and would you please advise as to GOOD SAFE dive shops as I will be bringing my kids (certified but not experienced). Thanks!:D

If you do decide to go to Cozumel (there are plenty of shallower dives there, although, as discussed here, the better dives are below 60 feet to start), I would recommend a SMALL dive boat where you could possibly be the only inhabinants on the boat.

On the recommendation of a local diver, who has been diving for 20 years, we went with a small operation called Blue XT~Sea Diving. It is run by a lady who is passionate about diving and has very qualified dive masters on her two boats. We stayed at the Cas Mexicana, which I found to be very conveniently located, clean and had a great breakfast buffet. It was a 1.5 block walk to the dock and we usually were started by 8:30am. Their boats take a maximum of 6, are very fast, and they are professoinals (we met three of thier dive masters, all older and very experienced. We had a PhD divemaster on half our dives and his explanations of the sealife were very interesting.

We never had 6 on the boat, usually four to five and if they had a new diver (as they did on couple trips, that person had their own divemaster).

The currents we encountered in late May were mild to me...about 1-1.5 knots, but I am sure that is seasonal and variable. We only hit one downdraft at 90 feet, but easily got out of it, but because of that possibility, you would not want to take your kids deep. It is true that the reefs have been damaged by hurricanes, but I think that is true of a lot of the Carribean diving.

Christi Courtney
Blue XT~Sea Diving
Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico
Calle 5, #400-B
Between Rafeal Melgar & AV. 5
Cozumel, Q. Roo, MX 77600

From US & Canada: 011-52-987-869-8574
From other parts of Mexico: 01-987-869-8574
From Cozumel: 869-8574

Phone and office hours are: Monday - Friday: 9:00am to 2:00pm & 5:00pm to 8:00pm CST
Saturday: 10:00am to 5:00pm CST
Sunday: The office is closed

I am guilty of that as well Vlad. It's just so darn easy in Bonaire...once you get there. Actually if I could attach Cozumel's food and people with Bonaire's convenient and plentiful shore diving I think I would be in heaven. Although, a ripping drift dive every once in a while is nice too!

...straying back on topic...
I agree. I just did a Bonaire trip in December; with direct flights from Newark, it's hard to resist.

I second vladimir's comments. Blue Hole may be over-rated but when the reef sharks are amass it is great. Half moon caye and turneffe dives are superior to Cozumel. I enjoy cozumel too but won't hesitate to spend the extra coin for belize waters. Far trips usually entail 3 tank dives and lunch on an uninhabited beautiful islands. As for safety... Much better than cozumel. I must say one of my favorite things of diving belize are the friendly grouper and the yellow tail snapper that usually swim with you your whole dive.
Above water Belize is far different as well - very laid back and no cruise ship caios.
Good luck!

Why is Belize better? Visually or because there is less current?

So I should go with PapaHogs??? I think I want Belize because I've never been but what I saw in Coz was great, but that was over 20 years ago and I only snorkeled.

I guess I should call them teens as my son is 16 and a Naui certified diver.. I just feel uncomfortable as they both have less than 50 dives. I guess that's a lot for a 16 year old.

So I should go with PapaHogs??? I think I want Belize because I've never been but what I saw in Coz was great, but that was over 20 years ago and I only snorkeled.
Cozumel is drift diving, current, boat follows you.
Belize is not drift diving, very little current if at all, DMs lead and you follow back to boat.
Different diving, both good.
Cozumel has changed in the past 20 years - it is now a mecca for cruiseships and the focus of the island is no longer "diving".

Actually a lot of diving in Belize is drift-style - you do a linear dive and the boat picks you up wherever you surface.

I've only been to Cozumel, never to Belize (yet). There are I'm sure many good dive shops. I can definitely reccomend Divers. I made four boat dives with them and was very pleased with their operation. Yes there are currents, but Advanced Divers, as well as others use it to your advantage by getting you in the water and picking you up down current. You dive within your computer limits. Bottom times were seventy minutes are a little better. I know they also accomodate younger divers.

Belize or Cozumel ? I would seriously consider Bonaire as a first choice. Very healthy reefs, easy diving, and the potential for much more diving. When I go on a trip I want more than two dives in the morning. Go to Buddy Dive resort and enjoy a mix of boat and shore dives. After diner enjoy great diving at night on the house reef !
Drift diving in Coz is fun because you go on a bit of a ride with the currents. In Belize you'll do a lot more kicking. When I return to Belize I will avoid Ambergris Caye and will instead go South to Turneffe or further South to Glovers Reef, that's where the good diving is.
Cozumel is fun and pretty inexpensive. Belize is great if you make sure to go to the better sites.
If you do end up near Ambergris Caye, and San Pedro, Amigos Del Mar is a good dive op that knows how to show you a good time. The smart divers though go futher South.
All three locations are fun if you plan them right and choose a good dive op. Enjoy.
Rex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom