Planning a trip to either Cozumel or Belize, which is better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to have tried Belize, but it seems you get more bang for your buck in Cozumel. It's also an excellent and safe family destination. The locals cater to your needs and are the most welcome group I have encountered while vacationing.
Either way best of luck.

In Belize you find a wider variety of depth options similar to say The Keys. Of course the ride out to the sites is usually MUCH longer in Belize.

If by long rides to the sites you mean about 5 minutes, then yeah. On Ambergris, the reef is less than 1/2 mile off the shore. You return to the dock for surface intervals because it is so close. Rides to the dive sites in Cozumel are 30-45 minutes each way.

Since the hurricane pounded Cozumel into dust a couple of seasons ago, the nice coral is much deeper and there are not nearly as many larger inhabitants like turtles, spotted eagle rays, black tips, etc.

Cozumel is cheaper and closer. Belize is more costly but has more to offer, both above and below the water.

If by long rides to the sites you mean about 5 minutes, then yeah. On Ambergris, the reef is less than 1/2 mile off the shore. You return to the dock for surface intervals because it is so close. Rides to the dive sites in Cozumel are 30-45 minutes each way.

Since the hurricane pounded Cozumel into dust a couple of seasons ago, the nice coral is much deeper and there are not nearly as many larger inhabitants like turtles, spotted eagle rays, black tips, etc.

Cozumel is cheaper and closer. Belize is more costly but has more to offer, both above and below the water.

I didn't stay on Ambergris so for me the rides were much longer than in Cozumel. I should have pointed that out.

I have never spent 45 minutes on a boat EACH WAY in Cozumel. The reef is also about 1/2 mile from shore in Cozumel, if that in places. 20 minutes max in Cozumel on a boat each way and that's only if you travel to a southern site. I also avoid the slower, larger boats in Cozumel.

For the record, I was in Cozumel DURING Wilma and I still find the diving to be very good even now. I agree that it did take a severe hit in the shallows. However, The last time I was there I saw black tips, turtles, eagle rays etc...

But all that said, Belize and Cozumel can't really be compared apples to apples anyway. Nonetheless, Belize would be better with kids, but I don't believe it is a better dive destination, just different.

I thought it was 70' from 12-15, 40' below.

I'm certain of SSI, but the PADI info I cribbed from another thread, so I coould be wrong there.

I'm certain of SSI, but the PADI info I cribbed from another thread, so I coould be wrong there.

PADI = ages 10-11 max depth 40', ages 12-14 max depth 60'. At 15 divers with open water can go to 70'. With AOW they can go to 100'. With Deep cert they can go to 130'.
These are all recommendations and there are no scuba police out there making sure of these.

Our daughter was certified at 12 and no dive op ever questioned her going on any dive with the exception of the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo. They insisted she had to be 15....so we waited until the week of her birthday to do it. She had 100+ dives by then anyhow and a better diver than most adults I have seen. We did limit her to a certain extent on her dives but by 15 she had been down to 100' several times. BUT her dad was a DM most of that time and he is now an instructor so we always felt safe diving with her just in case anything happened. I would not feel safe diving with more than one kid under 15 unless we had several adults with at least Rescue training. It's just in case as sometimes kids get easily distracted and may go too deep or take risks.....

I think you'll find that JAOW divers over 12 are limited to 70'. No OW or JOW divers may go below 60' regardless of age. I haven't checked in my instructor's manual so this is from memory. But as you say, it's neither enforced nor of certain value.

With most young kids diving with us I insist on them being 1-1 with DM or Instructor. A parent will do if suitable qualified. If you think this is over-cautious just see what happens if/when something goes wrong.

If you like short boat rides, crystal clear water, drift diving and cheap prices, Cozumel wins hands down! Diving conditions are not even comparable, at all. Belize is loooooong boat rides, the hugely overrated "Blue Hole", average diving conditions, and also pretty cheap. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give Cozumel about an 8 and Belize anywhere from 2-6, depending on what cay you stay on. Ambergize (sp) is one of the best but the diving is still not in the same league as Cozumel.
You have nicely highlighted some of the advantages of Cozumel. If you stay on Turneffe or take a liveaboard, boat rides are not an issue in Belize. Your 1-10 ratings make me think you haven't done the best diving in Belize. Have you been to Painted Wall, Silver Caves, Long Caye Wall, Que Brada and Dos Cocos off Long Caye? Or Half Moon Caye Wall and Tarpon Cave off Half Moon Caye? Or the Elbow off Turneffe. These are among the best dives in Belize, and they are a hike from Ambergris or the mainland. In terms of the health and diversity of the reefs, I think they are clearly superior to Cozumel. But you'll have to pay more to see them, you won't get that crystal clear water that Cozumel has (although the visibility can be quite good at times), and, with the possible exception of the Elbow, you won't get the high speed drift. In about 65 dives in Belize, I have seen Hammerheads, reef sharks, dolphins frolicking among the divers on a few occasions, a Saltwater Crocodile (on the surface), ubiquitous schools of Tarpon and jacks, large schools of Permit, Spanish Mackerel and other game fish not normally seen on Caribbean reefs, squadrons of Eagle Rays, and the usual assortment of turtles, octopuses, and other smaller animals. I didn't get that in Cozumel. It is not an apples to apples comparison though. If your budget is limited, you're probably better off going to Cozumel than doing the cheap diving in Belize. If you can afford to pay up, Belize offers superior diving, in my opinion.

I agree with scubadobadoo. Try Bonaire, you'll love it. and it's perfect for kids.
it may even be a cheaper option if you do the unlimited shore diving in bonaire vs. all the boat trips you'll be paying for in BZE and COZ. Haven't been to cozumel but i've been to belize. Bonaire was better and cheaper for me.

(and this is an unbiased opinion unlike some others posted here)

-Chris

Going to Either Cozumel or Belize this summer. Has anyone gone to both? Which is better and would you please advise as to GOOD SAFE dive shops as I will be bringing my kids (certified but not experienced). Thanks!:D

I agree with scubadobadoo. Try Bonaire, you'll love it. and it's perfect for kids.
it may even be a cheaper option if you do the unlimited shore diving in bonaire vs. all the boat trips you'll be paying for in BZE and COZ. Haven't been to cozumel but i've been to belize. Bonaire was better and cheaper for me.
I don't disagree with your advice Creeves, but it's kind of funny that no matter what destination question you post on Scubaboard, there will always be a few "Bonaires" among the answers.

"I will be diving on the Paradise Sport in PNG in August and the Palau Aggressor two weeks later. I'd love to squeeze some shore diving in between trips. Any suggestions?"

"Bonaire."

I am guilty of that as well Vlad. It's just so darn easy in Bonaire...once you get there. Actually if I could attach Cozumel's food and people with Bonaire's convenient and plentiful shore diving I think I would be in heaven. Although, a ripping drift dive every once in a while is nice too!

...straying back on topic...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom