Planning a trip to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not about saving money but mostly about freedom. When shore diving, we go where we want, when we want, and for as long as we want. This is why shore diving is always the top choice for us.
Yeah, I realize that now. Haha! I was confused as the OP had mentioned a desire to keep costs down and I was intending my post to be focused on them. I should probably make sure I direct my posts to the right people in the future. LOL! We too love the convenience and freedom of shore diving. But diving Eastpoint in Curacao is worth booking a boat to us. Even if for a day or two.

As first time visitors, it's interesting to read your post about Curacao being crowded. The island did seem busy to us around Willemstad, but not like some islands. And if you drive away from Willemstad a few minutes, we felt we could "get away" from the hustle and bustle. Of course, we don't know what it was like 15 years ago and you don't know what you don't know. It must have been really cool back then though! :) We've recently been scouting warm climates to retire. All said and done, I'd rather live in Curacao than south Florida!

Any idea why things picked up around that time? Several years ago I only read of Curacao on ScubaBoard very sporadically, but it progressively picked up post frequency and 'mind share' and seems much more known and visited now, just judging by forum activity. It's an excellent choice; I'm just curious about the timing.
I think specifically the Scubaboard surge put more of a spotlight on the island pre pandemic and We had a great guy running the tourist board who has unfortunately left now. Pandemic wise this is a safe bet for the Dutch who don't want to travel to their usual pre pandemic destinations of Thailand, Indonesia and Asia in general. It is getting more and more popular cheaper and easier to travel to than Bonaire these days with more to do for divers with non divers in the group and nicer beaches and our hidden gem is getting unhidden I guess. Plus our diving rocks!

Yeah, I realize that now. Haha! I was confused as the OP had mentioned a desire to keep costs down and I was intending my post to be focused on them. I should probably make sure I direct my posts to the right people in the future. LOL! We too love the convenience and freedom of shore diving. But diving Eastpoint in Curacao is worth booking a boat to us. Even if for a day or two.

As first time visitors, it's interesting to read your post about Curacao being crowded. The island did seem busy to us around Willemstad, but not like some islands. And if you drive away from Willemstad a few minutes, we felt we could "get away" from the hustle and bustle. Of course, we don't know what it was like 15 years ago and you don't know what you don't know. It must have been really cool back then though! :) We've recently been scouting warm climates to retire. All said and done, I'd rather live in Curacao than south Florida!
Well, in 2002 we were the only guests at AllWest, except for a French couple who spent most of the time spraying their rooms with bug spray. This was actually XMas 2002 and new year 2003 time, so you can imagine. Things at AllWest were so rough that one of the owners offered us to buy his share. Their rental gear that we used was like 20 years old. The beaches were almost empty. There was no state park in the NW and you could hike a day there without seeing anyone, just wandering from one blowhole to another. But now there is a gate, there is an entrance fee, and there are busloads of tourists, all those fat guys in Hawaiian shirts and middle-aged women in Bermuda shorts. Even the most remote beaches, like Playa Mansalina, are crowded with locals who are escaping the crowds of tourists elsewhere. As for the reefs, we've seen signs of overfishing, for example, we've counted just 4 barracudas in 28 dives, and even these were likely double sightings. On the other hand, the fishermen give scraps to turtles, so there is a bunch of huge green turtles hanging around the pier near AllWest..

South FL is even worse, of course. As one DM told me recently, "I'd rather work on weekends because you can't do anything in Florida on a weekend, there are just too many freaking people everywhere".

It's on and off, though: I just had 4 decent-sized barracudas do a circle around me, decide I wasn't interesting, and move on -- right in front of AllWest. Octopuses are walking around in broad daylight, too. OTOH we saw many more lionfish this year than the last time, in 2018 IIRC -- quite a few of them dinner-sized. Not enough divers hunting them?

But yeah, they do bring in snorkelers by a busload. Perhaps it's just the holiday season: last time we went around spring break and things were quieter.

Well, in 2002 we were the only guests at AllWest, except for a French couple who spent most of the time spraying their rooms with bug spray......As for the reefs, we've seen signs of overfishing,.... South FL is even worse, of course. As one DM told me recently, "I'd rather work on weekends because you can't do anything in Florida on a weekend, there are just too many freaking people everywhere".
Haha! The French do hate their bugs! LOL! The reefs looked really healthy to us. We were in Roatan over the summer, and while the diving was really good, it seemed a little lacking in fish and other sea life. Compared to a lot of places, Curacao looks pretty good. We've spent a lot of quality time in south FL, so I don't mean to knock it, but it has become jam packed with people and real estate has gone through the roof. As far as retirement potential? An ocean view in a modern home with a pool in Curacao for $400k, versus a manufactured home in the Keys, two blocks from the beach, hurricane insurance and no view for $800k and you have your answer. LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom