Planning a trip to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are considering a trip to Curacao, which we would like to pull off economically. I understand that people go there for both shore and boat diving. Do the boat dives go to significantly better dive sites that the shore dives, such that it is worthwhile to schedule a lot of boat dives? Are there any particular sites that we should not miss? Is there an area of the island that would be best to stay in if we want to be conveniently located to lots of good diving? We are also considering Caymans. Can anyone make a comparison of what it's like to dive Caymans versus Curacao?

I can't answer all your questions. I can offer some resources that might help inform some of the issues.

Curacao Trip Research Note
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

In a nutshell, a number of people report the western region has better diving, though I was pleased with the more eastern sites we dove on my trip (I haven't dove the west). If you stay in the Westpunt area, which I'm told is about 45 minutes drive from Willemstad, it's a lot more rustic.

A big issue is whether you'd like to roam around Willemstad much, visit the Curacao Sea Aquarium and so forth. If you want to commit one day to that, then where you stay is less important.

Caymans = Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. The first is a cruise port, the latter two are small, rustic islands. Grand Cayman is probably the closest to an 'apples to apples' comparator to Curacao, as it's got boat and shore diving (so does Cayman Brac) and a range of topside activities.

The Caymans have a rep. for being expensive, but roundtrip airfare and car rental can be surprisingly affordable from what I'm told. I've read good things about Turtle Nest Inn packages (granted that's in Boddentown, well away from 7-Mile Beach), and if you want 7-Mile Beach proximity, I've read good things about Comfort Suites and Sunshine Suites (as budget options).

Richard.

It’s great for shore diving if you have wheels, many great sites and total cost is very reasonable if you avoid the boats and resorts. Dive it like you live there.

I can't answer all your questions. I can offer some resources that might help inform some of the issues.

Curacao Trip Research Note
Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019

In a nutshell, a number of people report the western region has better diving, though I was pleased with the more eastern sites we dove on my trip (I haven't dove the west). If you stay in the Westpunt area, which I'm told is about 45 minutes drive from Willemstad, it's a lot more rustic.

A big issue is whether you'd like to roam around Willemstad much, visit the Curacao Sea Aquarium and so forth. If you want to commit one day to that, then where you stay is less important.

Caymans = Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. The first is a cruise port, the latter two are small, rustic islands. Grand Cayman is probably the closest to an 'apples to apples' comparator to Curacao, as it's got boat and shore diving (so does Cayman Brac) and a range of topside activities.

The Caymans have a rep. for being expensive, but roundtrip airfare and car rental can be surprisingly affordable from what I'm told. I've read good things about Turtle Nest Inn packages (granted that's in Boddentown, well away from 7-Mile Beach), and if you want 7-Mile Beach proximity, I've read good things about Comfort Suites and Sunshine Suites (as budget options).

Richard.
You said, "GC is probably the closest to an 'apples to apples' comparator to Curacao, as it's got boat and shore diving." Does Little Cayman not have both boat and shore diving?

All 3 Cayman islands have boat diving. Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac are known for shore diving. Quite some time back I read a report on ScubaBoard by a member who did a shore dive from Little Cayman, but it doesn't seem to be a well-known, mainstream practice.

The practicality of shore diving at Grand Cayman varies by where you stay. It's my understanding from a discussion I had with an operator there that it's not much of an option out at the east end (e.g.: Ocean Frontiers area). And some of the shore diving is weather dependent - such as I've read about Cobalt Coast, so if that's a big deal for you, you might ask about how the weather tends to be in the time frame you want to go.

Over the years, a theme I've noticed in reports is the idea that Little Cayman and Cayman Brac have better diving than Grand Cayman, that L.C. and C.B. are close with L.C. have the edge and C.B. diving tended to average a bit deeper. I'm not asserting those things to be true, just passing along what I've read.

If it were me looking at the Caymans, and solo shore diving wasn't a concern (in which case I'd ask about Brac Scuba Shack on Cayman Brac, and do a Search on this forum about it), I'd compare Little Cayman Beach Resort and Cayman Brac Beach Resort deals, pick a favorite, then ask if I'd be happy doing maybe 3 dives/day (maybe a night dive or two?) for a week, and hanging out at the resort the rest of the time.

Then I'd compare to a place on Grand Cayman. There, you might be looking at 2 morning dives/day, and adding boat dives can get expensive, so I'd consider 2 morning boat + an afternoon shore dive. Does exploring Georgetown, visiting the Turtle Farm (they produce sea turtles, and you can do a nearby dolphin excursion) and other topside attractions appeal to you?

I don't know when you plan to go. The Caymans have been so risk averse in excluding tourists that some forum members are reluctant to book trips there, concerned they'll get cancelled again. Curacao has remained open more, so a trip there might be more likely to happen.

Richard.

My husband and I are considering a trip to Curacao, which we would like to pull off economically. I understand that people go there for both shore and boat diving. Do the boat dives go to significantly better dive sites that the shore dives, such that it is worthwhile to schedule a lot of boat dives? Are there any particular sites that we should not miss? Is there an area of the island that would be best to stay in if we want to be conveniently located to lots of good diving? We are also considering Caymans. Can anyone make a comparison of what it's like to dive Caymans versus Curacao?

We will be making our 6th trip to Curacao this January. Get a car and shore dive, tanks shouldn’t cost more than $10 and almost all the sites dive boats go can be reached from the shore. If you like to dive, you’ll make up the car rental price with one dive/day I like to stay in the Boca Sami area. Centrally located, not too far from Willemstad PM me if you want detailed recommendations

Are there any particular sites that we should not miss?
From what I've told, some (and I haven't dove any of them), depending on which part of the island you stay on.

Klein Curacao (had the option, but had I left the family to go do that, there would've been wife to pay).
Watamula (the one I've read the most praise about).
Mushroom Forest.

The Superior Producer wreck draws some interest.

Back
Top Bottom