Planning a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about anybody else, but when I finished my OW class, I knew I was to "plan my dive and dive my plan." What I didn't have much idea about was what a dive plan was, and how you made one. Other than saying, "Let's swim out here and wander around and see what's down there," I didn't know what needed to be in a plan.

TSandM, as usual you started a very thought provoking discussion, that even experienced divers can benefit from. . . however you did leave out many important details, that other thoughtful divers have added. Before every dive in my local lake, I promise to take everyone's advice about their local conditions and add everything to the pre dive plan. . . my warm water diving partner starts losing interest about ice diving safety, when it's 100 degrees, and rapidly loosing ice in the drink cooler. But, as stated hear, you must plan for diving anywhere in the world before every local dive, even if the beginning diver in our group has close to 1,000 dives over about 10 years.

Really, your list should be copied for every beginning and intermediate diver, of course local information should be added. I added to my local pre dive planning to watch out for the Borg princess, she will assimilate us and make us dive in the cold northwest. . . and my dive partner has never watched Star Trek, or doesn't surf the internet. . . The dive partners we have to put up with. . . I'd drop him in an instant, bet he brings up such good tasting fish.

Yes, I left out quite a few things that subsequent posters brought into the discussion -- isn't that the joy of a board like this? But I think if you read through all the posts, you come away with a lot more information about how to plan a dive than I had when I finished my open water class, and that was my intention in starting this.

Greetings fellow SB faithful and what a great thread with many awesome posts that compliment it. This is the information that sets the new diver forum apart.
This is one of the reasons I always try to get new divers we are training to get on Scuba Board and research!
The dive community is made up of many different people all over the world. One can literally find out specifics about diving a location anywhere. That is a very valuable fact when organizing a trip and planning a dive.
I have learned volumes of information just reading here on SB and have found great advice from on-line friends. In general if you are a new diver reading this WELCOME to Scuba Central tune in and learn. Your time hear is well spent.
Thank you to all who have been gracious to me in the past three years.
Safe diving to all and continue to share in the dream.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'm still finding new dive plans for the cold water quarry I dive in. Some of the dive plan has to do with whether you want to be in water that is 45 degrees or not. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom