Places to stay in Sangalakki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shanghai Manta,

There is another option also which saved my wife and I quite a bit of money when we went last year. Here is how we got there:

- flew KK to Tawau
- spent night in Tawau at Marco Polo Hotel
- took morning high speed express ferry (about 2.5 hours) from Tawau to Tarakan. Name of ferry is Indomaya Tiga. It is very comfortable with air conditioning, airline type seats and a movie. The ferry runs 6 days a week.
- spent night in Tarakan at Plaza Hotel. Not much of a hotel but the food was good and the beer was ice cold.
- took local high speed ferry (more like a large, covered speed boat with twin outboards) to Tanjung Batu (2.5 hours) and then from Tanjung Batu to Sangalaki in a chartered speedboat (45 minutes). (NOTE: Another option depending on the resort's shuttle boat schedule is to fly from Tarakan to Berau (about 30 minutes) and catch the resort's boat.)

The resort had an agent that met us going into and out of Tarakan. We didn't have any problems using this method although the pier where we arrived at Tarakan seemed to be pure pandemonium with people and vehicles everywhere.

Hope this helps.

Rickg

I am considering visiting Sangalaki during the first half of Feb. I know it is the rainy season but hopefully it is just showers once in a while... But about average viz ? Has anyone been there at that time of the year ???

there are two way to berau.

I recommend via singapore,

every Tues. and Sat.

Singapore-Balikpapan
GA847 7:55/10:55
Balikpapan-Berau
Aw3200 11:20/1:15

KK to berau need via tawau and tarakan.

I went to derawan this sept.30-oct.4. because there can offer unlimited jetty dive.
We also take 3 days. per day 2 boat dive to Kakaban/sangalaki/Maratua.

Next time I would try sangalaki if go back there.

frogfish:
I am considering visiting Sangalaki during the first half of Feb. I know it is the rainy season but hopefully it is just showers once in a while... But about average viz ? Has anyone been there at that time of the year ???
The wheather there is fine, but rough winds during that time so boat trips cross the islands can be bumpy. I was there this year in Feb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom