Places to shore dive in Va. beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warlock

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for some places in Va. beach to shore dive. Whatever info I can get. I dive Lake rawlings almost every weekend, but I'd like to do some salt water diving and Va. Beach is closer to me. I'd also like to spear some dinner too. Any info will help

Someone may know of a shore dive. Don Burke, a couple of other people, and I tried one under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge one day, but it was not a good day. The current was not real high, but there was a current and the viz was non-existent. We haven't tried again since. That was last summer, I think. You may not find any good shore dives in this area. Don was going to try to do some down on the outer banks this summer, but I haven't heard from him about those dives. Maybe he hasn't had time to get down there yet.

The triangle wrecks are at about 36 01.951 75 40.021.

A buoy I think might be the Metropolis is at 36 20.003 75 48.685.

The Oriental is at Pea Island.

Huron is just north of the Nags Head fishing pier.

We could dive off Sandbridge. I know of nothing there, but I know very few people have considered looking there and the history of False Cape tells me something should be out there somewhere.

Diving off False Cape State Park would present logistic challenges. I intend to try it.

Let us start talking about dates.

Don Burke:
The triangle wrecks are at about 36 01.951 75 40.021.

A buoy I think might be the Metropolis is at 36 20.003 75 48.685.

The Oriental is at Pea Island.

Huron is just north of the Nags Head fishing pier.

We could dive off Sandbridge. I know of nothing there, but I know very few people have considered looking there and the history of False Cape tells me something should be out there somewhere.

Diving off False Cape State Park would present logistic challenges. I intend to try it.

Let us start talking about dates.

I'm up for the challenge!

The Triangle wrecks in Kills Devils Hills, NC?

Dennis - it might be good vis, it might be 1 foot...it was when I tried there earlier this year and the vis changes daily!

From what I hear, that's the way the viz is for NC diving. It can be ok and it can be just bad. I would like to hear more about logistics and such. Don, PM me or just post a new thread. Maybe others would be interested as well.

DennisW:
Someone may know of a shore dive. Don Burke, a couple of other people, and I tried one under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge one day, but it was not a good day. The current was not real high, but there was a current and the viz was non-existent. We haven't tried again since. That was last summer, I think. You may not find any good shore dives in this area. Don was going to try to do some down on the outer banks this summer, but I haven't heard from him about those dives. Maybe he hasn't had time to get down there yet.

I did a few shore dives on Hatteras Island in June.... Vis in Palmico Sound was around 5 feet while vis 150 to 200 yards from shore in the Atlantic was between 3 and 6 feet. Surge was pretty strong and ended up causing me to call the dive because I was feeling a bit or vertigo.....

Even with those situations, I would dive both again...... As long as the seas are not too rough..... A dive is a dive.... Even if there's "Nothing" to see, it's still different "nothing" than I see here.......lol

Back
Top Bottom