Places to go with viz and driveable distance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have often wondered why more divers of our area have not dove Navajo Lake. It just seems to be forgotten.... or ignored.

Navajo has vis that ranges from 9 to 50 feet. Finding good vis is dependent on the time of year and WHERE you dive. A boat is necessary to reach the better areas. In the fall, after all the hot-rodders have gone and the rains have subsided, vis can get really good in parts of this lake.

The surface temp. that I measured last weekend was the highest I've ever recorded out there: 78f. (Maybe global warming isn't ALL that bad?! ha!) However, that's the top 6 inches! Right now, on top of the TC (thermocline) you'll still find 60 degree water. I dove it about three weeks ago with my 5mm jumpsuit and a hood. I only noticed the temp when I passed below the TC (somewhere around the 35 foot mark).

Navajo's vis will never, consistantly, match Blue Hole's...... but, I can't shoot 25 lb Carp at Blue Hole!

Driving time from Denver? I'd say around 9 hours.

Ditto on Navajo Lake. Never been there myself but spoken to several PSD divers who highly recommend it. After diving Elephant Butte once with viz like chocolate milk anything else is easy. BTW, Elephant Butte has cleared up and has fairly good viz (10-15 feet.

If you can get away during the week, instead of the weekend, some of your nearby sites (Aurora, Chatfield) have pretty good viz because you might be the only ones diving. Alternatively, get there really early in the day on the weekend.

My daughter and I are headed to Blue Hole 8/18-19 to complete the specialties we need for master diver. I'm not looking forward to the drive though. Still another year until she can help drive.

Spice3x:
My daughter and I are headed to Blue Hole 8/18-19 to complete the specialties we need for master diver. I'm not looking forward to the drive though. Still another year until she can help drive.

I was talking to an instructor or three from A1 who will be there that weekend. RU diving with A1?

I may try to get down that weekend, but it's still up in the air.

I am doing my AOW with A-1 that weekend.
Should be fun.
I think Louise is the instructor, so it should be a blast.
Twebba and I are car pooling, and he will be doing some diving also that weekend.

Yes we are training with A-1. I'm doing night and navigation specialties, My daughter is also doing multi-level. Where does everyone usually stay? If anyone is interested in car pooling, I have plenty of room.

BigBubbaJ:
I am doing my AOW with A-1 that weekend.
Should be fun.
I think Louise is the instructor, so it should be a blast.
Twebba and I are car pooling, and he will be doing some diving also that weekend.

Speaking of that trip... It sounds like there will be a LOT of people there that weekend with all the classes and such.
It will be my first time there. Does it get really crowded on days like that?

Also, I'm considering the option of trying (renting) a drysuit (another 1st). For those of you who use 'em... anything special to consider in regards to weight, etc.? There's probably a better place to post this Q, but since the subject's up, I thought I'd ask.

TIA
~ TW ~

Twebba:
Speaking of that trip... It sounds like there will be a LOT of people there that weekend with all the classes and such.
It will be my first time there. Does it get really crowded on days like that?

Also, I'm considering the option of trying (renting) a drysuit (another 1st). For those of you who use 'em... anything special to consider in regards to weight, etc.? There's probably a better place to post this Q, but since the subject's up, I thought I'd ask.

TIA
~ TW ~

Drysuit weighting has a lot to do with they type of suit (neo, lam), and how much undergarments you wear. I also has to do with how comfortable you are in the water.

So, what type of suit, what type of UW, and what do you normally wear in fresh water say using a 7mm full suit?

Crowds are subjective. It's rarely crowded at the bottom, and the vis can be great with a large amount of divers there, or can be less than normal with less divers. I'm never exactly sure why, but it may have to do with how many divers actually go to the bottom, and dive from there vs. if they are mostly hanging out at platforms at 30 feet.

RonFrank:
Drysuit weighting has a lot to do with they type of suit (neo, lam), and how much undergarments you wear. I also has to do with how comfortable you are in the water.

So, what type of suit, what type of UW, and what do you normally wear in fresh water say using a 7mm full suit?

Hmmm... Sounds like I've got a bit of homework to do. Hopefully I can fill my melon with a bit more knowledge on the subject this weekend at the CSRA event.

To be honest, I haven't done any freshwater diving (or 7mm) in about 10 years. I've been spoiled with diving in the tropics, which is why the whole drysuit thing is so foreign to me.
Ron, If I meet you this weekend, may I plan on picking your brain on this subject for a spell?
:wink:

~ TW ~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom