Places To Dive Around Waikiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmart64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to be in Honolulu on a business trip from 4/22 - 4/27. Unfortunately, I will probably only have time to dive on the morning of 4/23. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good dive op and a couple of sites. I would also appreciate any information on what I can expect as far as water temps and vis?

Thanks!

Joe Gibson

Hi Joe! Water temp will be around 75-6 F and viz will depend on the tide in Waikiki and how much run off we have had. It could be as much as 150 or so, or as bad as60 ft more or less. Aim for an incoming tide and optimize your viz.
The YO257 is one of our nicest in Waikiki and only five minutes or so to the site. Sea Tiger and San Pedro very nice also...these are shots of these wrecks. All about 120 ft range. justleesa, a mod on the board has a charter business and they go out of Waikiki, pick you up, etc. Enjoy! I hope the weather is better by then, but it most likely will be. " OAHU SCUBA DIVERS ". I am not associated, but they do get many raves for good customer service.

Those photos are beautiful, Catherine! They capture the true feeling of the place.

thanks...we will have to do a wreck soon, and you can bring your 'torch" for drama.

Dove with the people over at Island Divers and they were great.

We did the Sea Tiger and it was pretty awesome. Also did Baby Barge and saw a lot of sharks and turtles. Sea Cave was the highlight though for our trip... super viz that day and a really super dive site.

Here is a bit of info on some of the sites on Oahu (and the other islands) and what the locals, and some visitors have to say.

Thanks all...I may actually try to get in a couple of dives on the afternoon of 4/22. I fly in around 11:30 am. Do you think that would give me time to get on an afternoon charter?

Joe

That would be cutting it really close. Even if your plane lands on time the airport is at least 30 minutes away (roads might be busy around 11:30) from the nearest harbor. and the boats start going out for the PM charter at around 11:30 or 12 o'clock....

Joe, my wife and I dove with AAA Diving about a month ago.

Very stress-free, Alex was very entertaining, and the boat is way bigger than it looks in the photos. We had a quality experience all around. It was about $10 per person more and worth every penny.

I hate being on cattle boats where you have to dive with a DM, and essentially be hand-held all the way to climbing back on the boat with 1800 psi because "it's time", or, the rototiller in the group is low on gas.

AAA was the exact opposite of that kind of boat diving. Alex gave us a quick appraisal, looked at our cards and logbooks, and we were on our own. Here's where the cool stuff is to look at, be back on the boat with gas and time left on the computer, absolutely zero pressure to move it along. A true breath of fresh air.

I'm not sure how AAA is perceived by the local dive community (in part because of this page, What Scuba Dive operators don't want you to know, but we had a safe, exceptional time.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom