Places to avoid in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is an interesting question, for me in that situation I'd probably avoid:

1. Cancun: I'm not a fan of the Spring Break atmosphere there (I could even hear the thump-thump of club music underwater near the beach). While I think anywhere on the Riviera Maya I went I would be wishing I was in Cozumel, Cancun stands out as my least-favorite part of that region.

2. Nassau: Not my favorite place topside, and everything I've seen seems to indicate daily boat diving from Nassau (as opposed to liveaboards departing from there and going farther out) is not so great. Diving in the Exumas Cays is good, but not sure if there are any AIs there.

3. San Juan/Northern P.R.: From a water clarity perspective I'm not a huge fan of the northern side of Puerto Rico, including San Juan. I understand that there is decent diving on the east and west coasts, though I think those may involve longer boat trips than you might want since you're traveling with friends.

4. Puerto Plata, D.R.: Went there before I started diving, so I can't comment on boat trips. While snorkeling near the beach I could not see 10 feet in front of me. Also, at the time Puerto Plata itself was not really a place you wanted to wander around in.

5. Antigua, W.I.: Again, went before diving, turquoise water looks postcard-pretty but is quite silty and snorkeling was not good any of the 5 or 6 places we went on the island. Prices were expensive, food was sub-par (but expensive), roads had potholes that could literally swallow a small car in numerous spots.

The website says Club Med Columbus Isle is closed until Oct 2022
Likely caused by that visit by @Wookie
Just a guess.
Great idea: plan a post-covid re-opening at the height of Hurricane season.

That brings up the concern about Caribbean weather in August. Storm paths often visit the Antilles before veering off clockwise to the North Atlantic. August conditions feature that, precisely.

🌩️🌪️🌩️

DB1BDAE1-F992-4B38-ADD5-E2F1272C8551.jpeg

An odd premise.

My “no dive” list is Jamaica, Nassau, Grand Bahama, Margarette (VZ), Panama (et al), Bermuda, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta.

My above, very short list, contains destinations that receive great reviews, mostly from first-time dive travellers or those who are working at the local dive ops. To make my list, it would be in the “you couldn’t pay me to” category.

Portions of some other Caribbean islands are sucky, but do have some good stuff. A prime example in that regard would be Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, or Cuba . If you pick the right dive op and demonstrate the right skills, you might get to some better stuff.

In that you specifically requested a list of Caribbean destinations, that made my head hurt. So, I looked at the zone in a wider sense, likely as you were thinking.

You did not ask for positive suggestions, but many are likely to follow. I have dove extensively near Club Med Columbus Isle and the diving (available) in their zone is really as good as (the Bahamas/Caribbean Basin) gets. Is it still operational? Are you ready to suffer the vagaries of a Club Dread Dive Operation? But it fits your odd criteria perfectly. (probably going to have to woke-up and change their name, just sayin’)

When my dive count was 50-99 i could not find my foot, so lucky you that you can get benefit from “reefs in great shape”.
This was very helpful, thank you. I've been diving since NAUI's min cert age (12) but I don't get to go often due to work and kids and life. When I do get to go, I want to make it count!

There are some things to unpack here.

1.) You can stay at an A.I. that includes diving, or an A.I. and book your diving separately. While the first might be more convenient, it might also get you a more conservative operation with a workflow tailored to relatively inexperienced divers. This topic has come up where Sandals is concerned. Compared to an in-house provider at an A.I., if you book with a separate operator you might get taken to nicer dive sites, get dives longer than 45-minutes, etc...

2.) Are you guys more after a budget, mid.-range or luxury experience? For example, if you were looking at Cozumel, Mexico, Hotel Cozumel or Scuba Club Cozumel and the Cozumel Palace might technically offer A.I. with diving services available, but when you look at the price tags...

Are these 3 other couples expecting to be entertained on resort grounds most of the time (from what I've read a Sandals Resort is like this), or is that the base for food and drinks but they plan to explore the larger area more (in which case Sunscapes Resort Curacao comes to mind)?

If they wish to get out more, are they the type who want 'cruise ship excursion' style guide-led tours with a large activity base to choose from, or who prefer exploring on their own and may appreciate more 'quaint' offerings and a quieter, relaxing vacation? St. Thomas and St. Croix are both U.S. Virgin Islands, but the former does a lot of cruise business, and the latter is quite nice but a little more laid back.

How important is a big sandy beach? That can knock some places out of the running...

I assume there are no minors on the trip, or people with serious chronic medical ailments who need ready access to 1st world medical care 'just in case.'

Which part? It's had good reviews for the Bayahibe region and an outfit called Scuba Fun, but it's my understanding that's not the region most vacationers who aren't focused on diving tend to hit preferentially. I haven't dove there, but it's on my 'maybe someday' list. There are trip reports on ScubaBoard for the area.
Thanks for the response and consideration! The other couples want to park it at the beach or pool and eat/drink. Probably a mid-budget operation. I'd be fine with leaving resort 'campus' to get to a local dive operation, I actually prefer that but not sure if we'll find it. Kids are staying at home with the grandparents :yeahbaby:! Everyone's healthy.

I think this is an interesting question, for me in that situation I'd probably avoid:

1. Cancun: I'm not a fan of the Spring Break atmosphere there (I could even hear the thump-thump of club music underwater near the beach). While I think anywhere on the Riviera Maya I went I would be wishing I was in Cozumel, Cancun stands out as my least-favorite part of that region.

2. Nassau: Not my favorite place topside, and everything I've seen seems to indicate daily boat diving from Nassau (as opposed to liveaboards departing from there and going farther out) is not so great. Diving in the Exumas Cays is good, but not sure if there are any AIs there.

3. San Juan/Northern P.R.: From a water clarity perspective I'm not a huge fan of the northern side of Puerto Rico, including San Juan. I understand that there is decent diving on the east and west coasts, though I think those may involve longer boat trips than you might want since you're traveling with friends.

4. Puerto Plata, D.R.: Went there before I started diving, so I can't comment on boat trips. While snorkeling near the beach I could not see 10 feet in front of me. Also, at the time Puerto Plata itself was not really a place you wanted to wander around in.

5. Antigua, W.I.: Again, went before diving, turquoise water looks postcard-pretty but is quite silty and snorkeling was not good any of the 5 or 6 places we went on the island. Prices were expensive, food was sub-par (but expensive), roads had potholes that could literally swallow a small car in numerous spots.
This is so helpful. Thank you for the reply!

Just a guess.

That brings up the concern about Caribbean weather in August. Storm paths often visit the Antilles before veering off clockwise to the North Atlantic. August conditions feature that, precisely.

🌩️🌪️🌩️

View attachment 710328

I think you answered your own question - avoid all AIs in the caribbean. You can blame covid if nothing else for avoiding the filth of the AI buffet food :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:
While I don't disagree with you, your privilege is showing :wink: We're working parents of young children, we haven't seen our friends in years. Unfortunately the best/easiest option with the fewest logistics for a bunch of exhausted 30-somethings is AI. The fact I get to go diving is a huge bonus, I am so excited and it's over a year away. :scubadiver:

Just a guess.

🌩️🌪️🌩️

View attachment 710328
True, great call out. Actually the last ~3-4 scuba trips I've taken have been during hurricane season and it's been amazing - no crowds, great conditions. One of these times I'm going to get burned for sure.

The other couples want to park it at the beach or pool and eat/drink. Probably a mid-budget operation. I'd be fine with leaving resort 'campus' to get to a local dive operation, I actually prefer that but not sure if we'll find it.
I get that your focus is on where to avoid rather than where to go, and it's not the cheapest option out there, but I suspect you guys would like Sunscape Resorts Curacao. Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019 Below the hurricane belt.

Cozumel has a good reputation for budget dive trips and some A.I. options, though I haven't stayed at them. I suspect the desire for onsite sandy beach knocks Cozumel Palace out (if I understand correctly from what I've read before), but there are a number of others. My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip

I get that your focus is on where to avoid rather than where to go, and it's not the cheapest option out there, but I suspect you guys would like Sunscape Resorts Curacao. Curacao Trip Report with SB Surge Jan. 2019 Below the hurricane belt.

Cozumel has a good reputation for budget dive trips and some A.I. options, though I haven't stayed at them. I suspect the desire for onsite sandy beach knocks Cozumel Palace out (if I understand correctly from what I've read before), but there are a number of others. My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Great suggestions, I'll check out your links. Thanks again.

Hi all! We have agreed to go on a trip with 3 other couples to somewhere in the Caribbean. They want to do an all-inclusive. None except myself and husband are divers. I am open to spending my hard earned vacation time at an all inclusive ONLY because of the potential of daily scuba :wink: Love all-inclusive with Scuba, all-inclusive without scuba is just not for me.

Destination is TBD. Obviously, there is good scuba to be found at many Caribbean destinations. I am trying my best not to dictate the destination completely based on my selfish diving requirements 🙈. So, my question is, which places in the Caribbean would you AVOID for an all inclusive trip? For example, I have heard that the reefs in Jamaica are not in great shape. Are there any other places you've visited recently that you'd give a poor overall scuba rating? I am hoping to give a short "let's go anywhere except these places" list and let the non-divers decide from there. Most likely the trip will be in the summertime, June, July, or August. Any suggestions appreciated!
There are endless AI resorts in the Caribbean, for example:
Some of them have scuba, but which?
This is a great use case for going to a travel agent and asking them which AI resorts have scuba; they make a living doing this...it is not easy for a diver to do this...endless hour looking at websites. It costs NOTHING to use a travel agent, in general; they make their living from commissions, which are not available to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom