Placencia (BZE) Trip in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you checked out the Belize Forum? Lots of great information there. The Toucan Trail section offers budget to mid lodging options and there's a snorkeling/scuba section, too:

The Belize Forums has Moved!

Have a great trip and please tell us all about it when you get home.

Oh that's hilarious! I typed in www dot belizeforum dot com, knowing that anyone who tried the link would be taken temporarily to a "we've moved" page and my link took on a life of it's own. Here's the full link: The Belize Forums

Is this something you can do on your own, or is it an option one of the dive shops offers? I don't remember reading about it...

Even if a shop offered the option of swimming with the manatees, I'd be skeptical of it. I've spent a lot of time in the water between Placencia up to Rocky Point on Northern Ambergris and encountered manatees on three or four occasions in the water. Only once did I get close and I think we both startled the hell out of each other. I was spear fishing and all of a sudden, there was a half grown one right next to me but he made a quick exit. The others I've seen up near Bacalar Chico where I worked for a while but I never got close up to them. You can get near them in a boat but not in the water....at least in my experience.

Is this something you can do on your own, or is it an option one of the dive shops offers? I don't remember reading about it...

They have it in the bay. I was told during the AM or Late afternoon they hang out swimming around the docks.....I'm sure you could find someone to take you to the other side of the bay. Do a search on SB you will find some DM's or operators who are on the board that can give you more info.

I did not see Hanks Post (Hank49)...he is the one to listen too as I did not swim with them.....just told about it.

I did not see Hanks Post (Hank49)...he is the one to listen too as I did not swim with them.....just told about it.

No worries. I'm no expert...just sharing my experience. I know of a place just off Ladyville, near the International Airport where there's a fresh water spring which I guess they drink from, where they congregate. I don't know if they allow people (tourists) to go there. Some locals showed it to me as we were delivering baby shrimp by boat from Bacalar Chico (Nova Farm) hatchery to the big farm there by the airport.
I saw about 4 in the water but they swim away from the boats.

I believe it's illegal to swim with manatees anywhere in Belize. It's regarded as too intrusive for them, though in several other parts of the world it's allowed.

Hi. To reply to your posted questions--yes--it was splash dive ops. It wasn't the most amazing of dive ops, but the diving was good--we were out at laughing bird caye. The boat is small and if it's rough, your back will hurt. We did do a monkey and manatees tour--also through splash. Our local guide was awful (didn't speak english or spanish and he got us lost--kind of part of the adventure), but inspite of him, we saw monkeys. Our boat guide had amazing eyes and spotted so many critters for us! We saw a lot of manatees, but didn't snorkel or dive with them. Was cool to see them though.

As for the cave tubing--I have done it through Ian Anderson's and it was fun, but like i said, we were there in 2000, so don't know how much it has changed. We went to the Crystal Maiden Cave in 2004. That was not cave tubing--it's wading and swimming though this cave after a walk through the jungle (not too far 1/2 mi. or so) and prior to that, an interesting trip to the jungle. The formations in the cave, the pottery and the mayan ceremonial sites make this trip worth it (IMO). We scheduled our tour through the cafe in San Ignacio where all the expats hang out--they are famous for organizing tours in the western part of the county. Rosies? If you look on the main belize websites you will find info on it. Tikal was pretty amazing too--we did that as an overnight trip. Xunantunich (in western belize near san ignacio) is neat if you aren't too familiar with mayan ruins (after you see some of the other bigger sites, it's not quite as amazing--but that was the first one we saw, so we were pretty wowed). I really like the western part of belize, but you have to go with the group preferences. We always do a dive trip and add inland stuff to it, but that's just how we like to travel.

It's a fun place. Placencia is a fun town, laid back, not completely touristy. We went to the most insane halloween party when we were there. Very jealous you are going so soon!

Hopefulist, Thanks for the link to the Belize Forum. I'll check it out.

Oceancat, When you say, "It wasn't the most amazing of dive shops," can you either post or PM me your honest opinion? This is the op the rental owner suggested, so I'm curious now.

Tikal interests me, but I can't seem to find a direct flight from Placencia to Flores. I'll have to make a few stops along the way or rent a rugged vehicle - a very long, cramped ride with 6 adults. Thanks again for all of your information. If you feel like escaping the States in December, look us up on the lagoon side of Placencia. I'll tip back a rum punch or two for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom