Place to stay, Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalekainxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to visit the Big Island in late Jan. If anyone could recommand some places to stay, or which are would be best. Would like to visit the beaches and the volcano, and anything else you people would recommand. What are some of the must see and do things on the Big Island?

Also, would Maui be better or the Big Island for diving? Thanks.

There's tons of places to stay. Do you have a budget in mind?

Overall, I think the Big Island is better for diving. Though from Maui it's an easy ride to Lanai and Molokini, so it's really a bit of a coin toss.

Are you going just to dive? Who are you travelling with? Spouse? Is spouse a diver too? Kids? These things will effect responses.

Search here, this has been done a hundred times. Having lived on both Maui and BI. I give BI top rating for diving but not by a huge margin. BI has more natural things to see, Maui has more tourist things to see but neiter are lacking in either. If you do the BI dont miss out on the manta and black water dives!

While on the big island for almost 2 weeks in 2k3, we never stayed in a hotel. We camped. There are a ton of county parks which are right on the shore in various spots and we stayed at a different one almost every night. It was beautiful to cook/have our meals right at our ocean front 'room'. We stayed in a B&B the last couple of nights. We did stay in the campground at Volcano NP a couple of nights also. That was different and special in its own way. All this was easy on the budget, and completely avoided the resort scene, which my family dislikes.
Diving on the big island was really good.
We went to Kauii as part of the trip and spent a week there, staying at a working farm in a guesthouse. I dove at Niihau and that was among the really special experiences I have had diving.
We had avoided Hawaii in general because we are not really 'resort' people. But once we found the alternatives, it turned out to be a really great trip.

I was in Hawaii in April and stayed at a private home that is rented out. It was amazing! If we go back to the Big Island we will definately stay here again as long as we can get it!

Now if you want something in the middle of town, this isn't it. But if you want something quiet, beautiful, and easy this is it.

http://maninipointhouse.com

Yeah, something not to overly priced, like a condo or private house would be nice.

There will be only 2 of us going. My buddy doesn't dive, but wants to learn. What are the water temps like?

You can always stay at Steve's house. :D

Actually, last year we stayed at a small house outside of Kona up in Puako. We loved it! Much quieter, no tourists (except us) more laid-back, great diving at our doorstep, and less money than a good hotel.

We enjoyed it so much, we'll be back to the same place this year in March.

Steve, I hope this time you'll come up and dive with me.

BTW, I dived off Steve's charter boat last year and it was great! Steve has a boat for divers, because that what he is, not a reef tour guide.
Here's Steve:

Rick,

We will be on the big Island in March too. When will you be there. Who will you dive with?

Back
Top Bottom